We used a smaller crockpot (3 quarts) and only used one 12 ounce can of coke. If you have a 600ml bottle, this will be just over half your bottle and makes it easy to estimate without measuring. I did that this morning with the already crisped carnitas and they were as I like them. This is a great versatile recipe and there werent any leftovers and that is how I judge a successful recipe in my house! So took longer in my slow cooker, about 10 hrs. Coca Cola pulled pork is loaded with flavour and an easy way to enjoy your favourite weekend pork rolls! Sure it will be Go Katrina. 1 pork butt (the one I used was about 7 lbs), 10 oz Coca-Cola (root beer is delicious too), Spray inside of slow cooker with a non-stick cooking spray, Sprinkle garlic powder and salt and pepper over pork butt, Drain most of the liquid from the slow cooker, leaving some in with the pork, Remove some of the fat from pork butt, if desired, Shred pork (this can easily be done inside the slow cooker). This recipe is just as delicious finishing the carnitas in small batches in a frying pan with a light coat of olive oil. Cook 6 hours in slow cooker or 3 hours in 350 degrees oven, until meat shreds easily and roast is falling apart. Please clarify. . Which is the most effective way to prevent viral foodborne illnesses? I now cook from this website at least 3 times per week and everything is AWESOME!!! Served with: tortillas, cilantro, cream, onions, grated cabbage and tomatillo sauce and I added it to a yummy salad the next day. Woke up at 5:30 the next morning and set the cooker for 10 hours. Wish me luck. 3) I then deglazed the pan by adding 1/3 of the juice/coke mixture, scraping up the carmelized goodness from the bottom of the pan. Carnitas is my favorite taco filling and it always seemed intimidating to make, but now I cant imagine taco night without this recipe. That will add more flavor! Yay!! 4) chunky guac !..I am so impressed with the simplest things to get a great meal. Whats the deegrees on both low and high heat? Cola-tenderizing for 24 hours yields a meat dish that practically melts, like this Atlanta brisket. Thanks! That is impressive! 5) I used the smallest amount of duck fat in a non-stick skillet to crisp the pork and spooned on some of the cooked liquid as per the original recipe (just not as much). And no it wont make taste like a cinnamon roll. Well, you put a pork sirloin roast in a crock pot, cut one red onion and throw that in there, then pour wait for it two soda cans of Pepsi or Coke, sprinkle with a little salt and pepper, turn on your crock pot, set it and forget it and then come back 8 hours with two forks, shred and enjoy! After all, how can you say no to sweet, smoky, and melt-in-your-mouth pork? Didnt taste any coke at all, but it was still delicious! I kept the drippings to add to soups in the future. Each of them will give the meat a different flavor, so feel free to experiment. Delicious! BTW, I was able to find the cane sugar Coke in the Mexican Food section of my local Food Lion. Check out these delicious ideas for what to do with leftover pulled pork. Manual release. I try to provide true and accurate information, but these numbers are estimates. After removing the bay leaves, the rest of the juice, onions and garlic was pureed and put in a jar to serve with the meat. However, it isnt just easy, it is absolutely delicious too! We then divide the meat and juice in to 3 portions. Mix in Coca-Cola BBQ sauce. What a winner and so authentic tasting! Instructions. It is such a versatile recipe that it is easy to convert to the Instant Pot! Cooking meat in soda isnt anything new, and you could use cola if you prefer. And 10 hours later, this huge hunk of meat is tender and ready. To Crisp in the Oven: Transfer the pork to a baking sheet lightly sprayed with cooking oil spray (or lined with aluminum foil or parchment paper). This Crock Pot Pulled Pork is one of my familys favorite meals and makes enough leftovers for lunch or dinner the next day! I am excited to have this in my rotation! Required fields are marked *. We make tacos for the football game, and then the leftovers are perfect for tortas, salads, and to add to pot beans all week. This is definitely a keeper! I do love pulled pork, though, and this recipe sounds wonderful! How to make Pulled Pork Dip. At the end of 10 hrs the meat just fell off the bone and pulled apart easily. I am making this tomorrow for Patriots Game in Dutch Oven as well and then removing lid for the crisping of it. My Taco fillings (we also grilled marinated skirt steak and sword fish for a taco buffet! Added 1 Cinnamon stick and reduced the left over liquid. Can I use coke instead of Dr Pepper for pulled pork? Pork should be tender enough to easily shred. It will keep for 4-5 days. 2023 Tastes Better From Scratch Privacy Policy and Disclosure. What kind of wood did you use for smoking? I like using a creamy dressing to contrast the sweetness of the pork, but you can also use vinaigrette. Salt/Pepper the pork. Cook on low for 8 hours. Now Karina, please work out a kahlua pig recipe cooked in the ground in the backyard and then it will be ON! And so much easier than the other carnitas recipe I tried. I only have a 3.5 quart slow cooker that I have never used (as its too small) do you think everything would fit in it? Browning in oven (optional, recommended): Preheat oven to 180C / 350F. Place the pork back into the crockpot (or in a large bowl) and then use two large forks to shred the meat. Bring to a boil; cover pan; reduce heat and simmer about 20 to 30 minutes until sauce is very thick. I did street tacos and put the carnitas on corn tortillas, sliced avocado, Mexican cheese, finely chopped onion, fresh cilantro, and a little pico de gallo. I have a bottle of Sweet Baby Rays in the pantry just begging to be used up. We just did street tacos last night. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. These cookies ensure basic functionalities and security features of the website, anonymously. I used a diet coke with trepidation because you just never know. Fantastico! Ive had bad experiences with my crock pots (maybe the brand, maybe theyre defective). There are three of us. Remove lid and cook for an additional 1-2 hours, until pork is tender and easily pulls apart with a fork. Ive stopped searching the web for ANY recipe! And I used the Coca Cola in the glass bottle. Hahaha, the I you very much. Does pulled pork need to be covered in liquid? Both done in about 5 hrs. Thank you so much for sharing your talent, and helping me make good food for my family! Could this recipe be done in a Pressure Cooker? The ingredient we use in this carnitas recipe is Coca Cola. The flavours will be different each time and you may find you like some of them even more than the original! Luckily, I go back to Chicago a couple times a year to see my Dad and stepmom so I get as many of my fave restaurants in as possible. It is exactly what i was looking for. This is a winner! Next, we rub the roast with a bunch of southern spices such as paprika, creole seasoning, garlic powder and black pepper. Tender and loaded with flavour, this slow cooker Coca Cola pulled pork recipe is a perfect make-ahead dinner idea the whole family will love. My family just loves it. I have to admit, it has taken me so many failed attempts and trying a huge variety of different recipes before finally setting on this one. ). You really cant mess this recipe up unless you use too much salt (I did that the first time). But it came out incredibly tender. Browning a pork roast also helps seal in the juices so the meat stays moist. I prefer to mix the sweet brown sugar and the spicy one together. It did not last long in the fridge. Immensely. Tag me on Instagram at @simplifycreateinspire or leave a comment below telling me what you think. Seems a shame just to throw it out. I got everything ready the night before & simply assembled it this morning. This sounds amazing! This is a keeper. How do you win an academic integrity case? Do I have to take it out of the liquid when storing it or can it be left in it? We love our pulled pork best when made with Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce and served with tons of onions, pickles and on a potato bun. Serve this pulled pork along with your favorite side dishes. Remove the wrappings from the pork roast and place the roast in the skillet, browning it on all sides. Had it in tortillas with chipotle rice, guacamole, pico de gallo, some crisp cabbage mix and crema everybody loved it. If so, how do I freeze? Hes alergic, and wondered if it would stay relativly the same, og change dramaticly. I didnt fry it in a pan but I put it under the broiler and would turn the meat as it crisped. Your email address will not be published. If youre feeling extra hungry, a big bowl of rice is what youll need! I dont always think ahead to use my crock pot, but when I do it really helps take a big weight off my shoulders. Delicious! Decided to cook the whole thing using my portable roaster oven, and Im sure it will be great. My husband says its as good as the mexican restaurant down the street (southern california so its the real deal lol). Thanks! Slow cooker Coca-Cola pulled pork is such an easy meal. Just made this today! It turned out so good, he wants the leftovers tonight, and we are making it again for friends next weekend, after he kept raving to them. To get those I propose you add hoisin sauce. I used an 8 lb pork picnic (shoulder with bone) so it fit into my 6 qt slow cooker. 4. This looks unbelievably crisp and tender! That is great to hear! Never a bad recipe!!!! Any ideas? Other uncategorized cookies are those that are being analyzed and have not been classified into a category as yet. Hey there! I am sorry I actually dont know the exact degrees since mine only has the two settings. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Im making this for the second time today. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This post may contain affiliate links. The Coca-Cola makes the meat fall-off-the-bone tender. This recipe makes the best carnitas we have ever tasted! It was perfect. Thank you so much. Thank you for all the work you put into sharing these amazing recipes. I love running, cooking, and curling up with a good book! Best of all, pulled pork could not be easier to make! This Crock Pot Pulled Pork recipe makes tender pulled pork thats packed with flavor. I made this last night..so delicious! Because WHO doesnt love crispy pulled pork?! I used the slower cooker method and then broiled to crisp it up. Plastic bag, or container, with or without juice? I share recipes for people who LOVE good food, but want to keep things simple :). Thank you so much!! Thank You and I will definitely be trying many more!!! Place pork into crock pot and season entire pork with garlic salt and chili powder. Generously add bbq rub seasoning to the top. You may find that you need to cook the loin a touch longer, as it doesnt become as tender since its a leaner piece. I was wondering if you have any ideas what to do with the left over liquid? A simple slow cooker meal everyone will enjoy! We are sorry that this post was not useful for you! Thank you, this was awesome and so easy! An instant pot only requires some form of liquid so between the orange juice and coke you have plenty of liquid. But using Dr. Pepper adds fruity, somewhat spiced notes to the pork that works so well with the BBQ sauce. Even before you add your sauce on top! Also, be sure to give the shoulder or butt a healthy rub and then braise the meat in a cast iron skillet before slow cooking. Pulled pork can technically be made with most pork cuts, but the shoulder is by far the best. So delicous, the meat was tender and juicy. Add Coca-Cola to your slow-cooked beef brisket. Ladle over about 1/2 cup of left over liquid, and continue cooking until the juices begin to reduce down and the meat is nice and crispy! Perfect to enjoy while cheering on your hometown baseball team this summer! LOVE your recipes! This makes a perfect quick meal for your freezer cooking rotation! I used a pork tenderloin (because thats what I had) and it was great! how much liquid to use, you will love it! I like to use food storage bags and seal them with my heated sealer. I have a question from one of my roomates though, how would this recipe change without the garlic and onion? Can I substitute chicken broth to add some liquid to the pan when I crisp it up? Will definitely make this recipe again. Next time I will try coke! Ive made this so many times and its so delicious every time! Welcome! Once foaming from Coca-Cola has subsided, sprinkle with kosher salt. I used the oven method of crisping and added a little more liquid, but tended to skim the top to get the fattier juices. Instead of adding extra cumin I threw in a half tablespoon of chili powder for the complexity because I get overpowered by too much cumin (also Im low on achiote today, I didnt measure but I think I only had about a teaspoon or so left in the bag). Just load it with barbecue sauce to give it moisture. If I dont have a slow cooker, can you make this in the oven? Your recipe for the bbq sauce was a hit! Does anyone know how Id cock this in the oven instead? Stir occasionally. Together with the barbecue sauce and liquid smoke, it makes the pork unbelievable. Do you have instructions for making this in the oven or on the stove? We eat Mexican food almost daily and this is the best carnitas Ive ever made. Do you think it should be crisped on the day after of or before freezing? You can also freeze it for up to 3 months. My husband rarely raves about food, and he LOVED these! Broil for 5-10 minutes on high heat until the meat becomes golden browned and crispy on the edges. With a bone in Pork Butt as well. It does not store any personal data. This will be our go-to carnitas recipe from now on. Can the Constitution be changed by the president? Ive made these for my wife and kids numerous times! Enjoy! Enough grease from fat I dont need additional oil for crisp it up. This was SOOO good. Serve with crunchy slaw and sweet potato fries. I love this recipe. I have a very similar recipe from my Mexican house mom, but this one is much easier to execute with the slow cooker. I combined all the dry ingredients, then mashed my minced garlic into it to create a paste. Made this tonight for my family. (4lbs pork shoulder, 2 tbs garlic powder, 2 tbs salt, 1 tbs pepper, 2 tbs brown sugar) Pour the Coca-Cola over the pulled pork*. But guess what- my bad cooking has turned a corner and I an TICKLED TO DEATH!!!! So good. When I tasted it from the crockpot it was so, so. It was so tender and just fell apart. Along with pulled pork, it makes the ultimate comfort food! Here youll find easy recipes and weeknight meal ideas made with real ingredients, with step-by-step photos and videos. It turns out slightly sweet and smokey with a hint of heat. are coming! Then when Im ready to use the other half Ill defrost, heat slowly in a pan with the liquid, then shred and proceed to brown/crisp the meat as directed. Transfer from slow cooker into a roasting pan (reserve liquid). Once you know Karina , youve just been added to our favorite list. What does Coke do for pulled pork? Carefully place the pork cut on top of the onions. This is it the second time I have made this recipe, its absolutely divine, thank you ??.. Whisk the spices together and rub all over the pork. Say aloha to these delicious Hawaiian sliders. I am so glad that everyone enjoys it! Try Dr. Pepper, Root Beer, or Cream Soda! Everyone asked for the recipe! The citrus is amazing with the pork! It may sound crazy, but this recipe for Dr. Pepper pulled pork might just be my favorite way to make pork. Coat with barbecue sauce. No votes so far! I slow cooked in a Club Aluminum stovetop roaster (Dutch oven), about 5 hours on simmer. Thank you for sharing! I made this for my husbands birthday party. Ladle over about 1/2 cup of left over liquid, and continue cooking until the juices begin to reduce down and the meat is nice and crispy! Its in the rotation whenever Boston butts go on sale in my area. Any ideas on how to adapt this recipe for an Instapot? Just made this and it was AMAZING! Ive been thru countless recipes, some of my own and a few online. I halved it however it did seem a little dry: would you suggest I add more soda and lime/ orange or how could I make this recipe juicer ? I am going to try an make this recipe this weekend, it sounds so good. I made this today and it was super easy! I basically brought home only the juice from this recipe and bare;y had three tacos for myself. Use a. Chop onions and cover the bottom of the cooking pot. We love it. I have a 4 lb pork loin I know, too lean, but do you think I could get away with it? Yes. Add the pork and leftover juices to an oven safe container (add water, apple juice or broth to the meat if its too dry). My name is Karina and this is my internet kitchen hang-out. Alsothe cast iron pan is the best for crisping!!!! I didnt have time for the crisping part, but next time Ill try this with a legitimate pork butt and will do that! Im not sure why..it was a fresh new bulb. Excellent, traditional tasting recipe, and does it all without the mess of lard! Time should really not be a reason for not eating at home. It was fantastic! We loved it. RATE and COMMENT below! Thanks so much! 2. (Prevents frezzee burn). Where Coca-Cola has caramel notes and Dr. Pepper can be somewhat spicy, root beer can add vanilla and even anise to the dish. THANK YOU for taking the time to do a great job, not only with the easy directions but the BEAUTIFUL pictures for ones like me that are not cookers or bakers. This is a knockout every time. It's because the sugars in the soda caramelize while slow-cooking, giving the pork that beautiful, sweet flavor. Cook for another hour. Just be sure to use the same number of pounds in the original recipe. ( i do this all the time with taco meat or other things that tend to dry out with long cooking times). Pulled pork coming out of our ears! I moved to Florida a little over 10 years ago from Chicago. I dont leave reviews often, but this one was a hit with my family. Amazing recipe! Thanks so much! The cookies is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Necessary". Serve pulled pork in a sandwich, with nachos, tamales, tacos, burritos, or quesadillas. Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Contact Us, (2 cans) Dr. Pepper (or any caramel colored soda pop, each will provide a slightly different flavor), What to Serve with Pulled Pork: 15 Party-Worthy Sides, What to Serve with Pulled Pork Sandwiches (17 Tempting Sides). 6) french fried onions (packaged) That is great to hear! Remove roast from cooking vessel. Actual nutritional values may vary depending on specific ingredients used and/or modifications to the recipe. And don't forget your Coca Cola to make the meal complete! I mentioned making this to my husband and he very helpfully came home with an 8lb. I swap out the orange juice for some chipotle sauce, but otherwise cook it in a similar way. Having people over after work or a after a busy weekend day on the soccer or baseball field? I cant wait to try it for dinner tonight! Thank you so much for sharing your feedback! I did tweak the recipe somewhat by adding cinnamon to the spice mixture. I put everything into the cooker the night before and stored it covered in my fridge. I couldnt find cane sugar coke. Is that ok?? Made this tonight, delicious! You might also see it referred to as a Boston Butt or pork butt. Are you able to tell me how big a serving is? Absolutely delicious! Add first pork butt or shoulder roast, 1 liter Coca-Cola, onion, 2 teaspoons garlic powder, chili powder, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper to slow cooker or covered baking dish. I am all about freezer meals and making it for other people or just having it ready in case I need a go-to meal. The liquid does soften the meat and adds all the flavor. Thank you so much for the recipe, I am sharing your recipe and site with a few friends who loved this too. Thanks so much for choosing one of my recipes and following along with me! Ive used pork loin before, but it doesnt quite soften in the same way and lacks that melt-in-your-mouth texture. Perfect for a busy weeknight, just throw all of the ingredients in your slow cooker, and go about your day! I place the pork in my blue enamel roasting pan and and I large chopped up onion. Great job, Chef Karina and thank you again. Instructions. The sugar in the Coke is what helps break down and tenderize the meat. Could I use caffeine free Coke? Together with the barbecue sauce and liquid smoke, it makes the pork unbelievable. Just make it already!!! I often just serve from the Crock-Pot with bbq sauce as pulled pork sandwiches! Place pork roast in a 5-quart Crockpot. Karina, can you use something else other than cola? The orange juice and lime juice combo tenderises them to incredible fall apart tenderness, while the natural sugars in the juices and the coke combined turn what would be just another pulled pork recipe, into crispy heaven with every mouthful. Wow, so good! Also, I used a bone-in 6-7lb shoulder and it was perfect after 10hrs on low. This recipe is perfect we made it two ways. I made this this past weekend and this is one of the Best recipes I follow the instructions and use the Mexican coke. Whether youre planning food for a party, BBQ, or a simple weeknight dinner, this pulled pork recipe is a guaranteed crowd pleaser. Copyright 2020 InsanelyGoodRecipes.com Quick & Easy Recipes Insanely Good Recipes is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC associates program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Want something a little lighter? My wife told me to make sure I keep this recipe handy. I think it actually absorbed more of the flavor. We are compensated for referring traffic. Isnt that what helps crispness. Read my disclosure policy. Yes, it takes several hours of waiting, but every minute is worth it. I have not tried it in an instant pot. I have been looking for the perfect carnitas recipe for years, since I moved from Ca to Wa 8 years ago. Let me know how it turns out for you! Alternatively, substitute with chicken broth (chicken stock). To Crisp on the stove: Heat about 1 tablespoon of oil in a non stick pan or cast iron skillet over high heat. Thanks so much for sharing! First time making Carnitas. Alternatively, substitute with chicken broth (chicken stock). Yes this recipe was delightly AMAZING!! Its crisp, cool, and creamy, while pulled pork is tender, hot, and sweet. Youve covered all the bases with this menu! charlotte ritchie relationship. This recipe will be in my arsenal forever! I made this last night and it was AMAZING!!! This is the best carnitas recipe Ive ever found, and it saves me when I cant wait for the Sunday batch of carnitas at my neighborhood taqueria. Absolutely! Our crockpot wasnt up to the task, so I had to finish it up in the instapot which was just delivered. Cooked pulled pork will loose about half of its weight as it cooks (so a 5 pound raw pork roast will cook down to 2.5 pounds of meat). I doubled the recipe for a 12 lb shoulder roast, except I only used a total of 2 tsp salt, and it was unbelievable! I made this with a couple minor alterations on the stove so I could control the time (because its really difficult for me to simply follow a recipe) but since it looked so good, I made sure not to tinker with it too much . I slow-cooked it overnight and it made me really hungry, smelling it all night long. Use it in a sandwich! I made it anyway. 2) cilantro Made too much? Dr. Pepper is also a favorite to use to tenderize pulled pork, along with ginger ale or even hard cider. You want to cook a 4lb cut of pork in your IP for 1 hour 30 minutes on high pressure with natural release. . Rub the pork shoulder with all the seasoning then place on top of the onions in the crockpot. Add in some beans and veg and you have delicious meal. I now have a very satisfied (and stuffed!) onto those mounds of cheese. You want them warm and soft, not crispy and tough. Cook on high for four to five hours (or low for eight). Slow cooker pulled pork with Coke is one of the easiest ways to create delicious BBQ pulled pork to perfection! Some people say storing like that can change the texture, but Ive never noticed or had an issue with that since it gets crisped up after being reheated anyways. The pork is cooked in root beer all day long. Made this last night, and my super picky 6 year old daughter loved it! Sad fact! uncovered to dry out the surface of your piece of meat. It did not disappoint. Two of the guests didnt even eat it because they were vegetarian and it still was gone! Add first pork butt or shoulder roast, 1 liter Coca-Cola, onion, 2 teaspoons garlic powder, chili powder, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper to slow cooker or covered baking dish. Thanks. Cook on low 8 hours or high for 4. OKAAAAAAAY, this is the BEST carnitas recipe weve ever had. When done cooking shred the pork. However, I do have to admit, I find it gets a little more tender when its slow cooked all day in the crockpot instead. Really good. So good! .5 lb a person. Thanks, this is now at least a twice a month meal! Learn how your comment data is processed. Good luck! If you havent had carnitas with slaw, I highly recommend trying it. The tomato one turns out crispy also without the coke. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. Crisping it added a great texture. Once foaming from Coca-Cola has subsided, sprinkle with kosher salt. I followed the recipe perfectly and it is unbelievably good & so easy. What happens when you put Coca Cola in a crock pot? Need to try real Coke Diet Coke on hand Im sure not the same. I broiled pieces in the oven in the juice to crisp before putting into quesadillas for the kids. For this recipe, I used Coca-Cola because its what we had in the house. I like to hold one fork steady and gently pull with the other. How i do it then bake in the oven as the recipe. Looking for more recipes like this? Be the first to rate this post.