Tim W Burchett is living in Duck, West Virginia. When I hear she gets threats, I always pray for her, says Tim Burchett, Republican from Tennessee, who affectionately calls her Cortez. I dont agree with a doggone thing she says, Burchett says, but I respect her right to represent her constituents just as much as she respects mine.. Newly-elected Burchett (left) and Rep. Steve Cohen, a Tennessee Democrat, exchange a fist bump from opposite sides of the aisle on the first day of the 116th Congress on Jan. 3, 2019. The table below displays the officeholders in Tennessee's top three state executive offices as of November 2022. } Burchett took the county by roughly 24 points, more than he did two years ago when he won by22 points and swept the surrounding, mostly rural counties. When 30-year incumbent Jimmy Duncan announced his retirement in July 2017, Burchett entered a crowded seven-way Republican primary to succeed him. She raised money well, had hard-hitting campaign ads that poked at Burchett's COVID-19 responseand had a push poll that suggested the margin was thinning in the district that hadnt elected a Democrat since before the Civil War, more than 150 years ago. border: 1px solid black !important; padding-right: 0.25em; border-radius: 0 0 7px 7px; Tim Burchett and his then-wife Allison on the campaign trail in 2010, when he first ran for Knox County Mayor. } Earlier this month, he elicited both chuckles and cringes during a heated moment in a conference-wide meeting, as some of his colleagues grew irritated that McCarthy allies were getting extra time from their colleagues to speak in defense of his speakership bid. The table below displays the historical trifecta status of the state. } display: flex; display: inline-block; } padding-right: 62px; [44] The divorce was finalized later that year. Be true to one's oath to defend the Constitution. Tuesdays 2nd Congressional rematch between incumbent Republican Tim Burchett and Democrat Renee Hoyos was more of the same with Burchett handily defeating Hoyos. .mw-content-ltr td.votebox-results-cell--text, } Put down Rep. Tim Burchett, R-Tenn. as a hard "no" on lifting the debt ceiling later this year. background: #f5f5f5; I would seek areas of corporate welfare to cut when I propose things such as expanded college (and other post-secondary aid). Subcommittee on Highways and Transit The following analysis covers all U.S. House districts up for election in Tennessee in 2022. Sign up today to get the latest news from Tims campaign. This made Tennessee's 2nd the 59th most Republican district nationally.[10]. break-inside: avoid-column; border-radius: 7px 7px 0 0; Please list below 3 key messages of your campaign. } margin: 0px 10px; height: 100%; max-height: 580px; Newly-elected Burchett (left) and Rep. Steve Cohen, a Tennessee Democrat, exchange a fist bump from opposite sides of the aisle on the first day of the 116th Congress on Jan. 3, 2019. } JNS will introduce some of these elected legislators as part of its "Meet the Newbie" series. margin-bottom: -2px !important; | .leg-hnt-toggle-text { Dr. Mark Harmon will run for Congress in 2022. Instead, he said, "Do me a favor. } Burchett said his decision was not about President Trump, but about preserving election integrity and ensuring that every American can have confidence in the result of the election. Ballotpedia does not edit or correct typographical errors unless the candidate's campaign requests it. I dont kiss enough butt and I dont raise money to move up in conference, so I get aggravated about that. As the divide between Washington politicians and their constituents continues to grow, Tim wants to do what hes always done fight for East Tennessee. margin-top: 0; .non_result_row th { .race_header.green { width: 50%; } The table below details filing requirements for U.S. House candidates in Tennessee in the 2022 election cycle. } He is committed to ensuring East Tennessees transportation network isnt left behind. padding-bottom: 8px; GOP Leader Kevin McCarthy could tick off multiple funny moments courtesy of Burchett, but also praised him as a constituent-focused member. } font-style: italic; "I just want America to be the land of opportunity for everybody and thats not just some catch phrase, but I really believe it," he said. height: auto; I care deeply about reducing student debt, supporting abortion rights, serving the public honestly and thoroughly, offering consumers a public option in health care, protecting our environment, combatting climate change, raising the minimum wage, protecting voting rights, defending Western democracy, fighting corporate price fixing and corruption of our political processes, and advancing human rights. .race_header.republican { text-align: center; .mw-body #mw-content-text th.votebox-results-cell--text { [3] He later served in the Tennessee State Senate, representing the 7th district, part of Knox County. font-size: 1.25em; Were all voters required to present ID at the polls? Incumbent John Duncan, Jr. (R) defeated Stuart Starr (D) in the general election on November 8, 2016. Source. .question-scroll-container { He ran a truck and trailer business. The good news is that current law is on our side to restrain . What characteristics or principles are most important for an elected official? } display: inline-block; I dont take myself seriously. Another time, after visiting then-President Donald Trump at the White House with other members, Burchett was the last to run onto the bus yelling they needed to peel out because hed just stolen the baby Jesus from the Nativity scene (he had not actually done so). Help me out here. Burchett: I'm sorry that the people on radio can't also see how good-looking I am. .mw-body #mw-content-text th.votebox-results-cell--text { .results_text { } Incumbent Tim Burchett defeated Mark Harmon in the general election for U.S. House Tennessee District 2 on November 8, 2022. margin: 8px auto; .leg-hnt-hide { } position: absolute; Burchett is a native of Knoxville, where he was born in 1964 and attended West Hills . Burchett took to Twitter Sunday afternoon to share the news of the accident. .results_table_container { [6][7] In 1998, he won a four-year term in the Tennessee State Senate, representing the 7th district. display: table; He served in the Tennessee General Assembly, first in the Tennessee House of . } Expanded grants to help young people pay for college and other post-secondary education. There were no incumbents in this race. People in South America have been using it for years and years." Candidates are asked three required questions for this survey, but they may answer additional optional questions as well. [2] It does not include information on fundraising before the current campaign cycle or on spending by satellite groups. I dont know if she lives in the Bronx or not Ive never been to New York, Burchett said. Generally, there is a sense among his Capitol Hill colleagues that Burchett is just that kind of person who can get away with comments that the rest of them couldnt pull off. Neither candidate faced a primary challenge Thursday. Click here to contact our editorial staff, and click here to report an error. margin-top: 5px; } What do you perceive to be the United States greatest challenges as a nation over the next decade? } padding-left: 10px; Tennessee's 2nd Congressional District election, 2022, Ballotpedia's Candidate Connection survey responses. This is one of many parodies of the video from "Downfall",. Commentary. Rep. Tim Burchett (R-TN), who found himself in the middle of the altercation, had some choice words for Rogers after the vote in an interview with CNN's Kate Sullivan. text-align: center; Your California Privacy Rights / Privacy Policy. VoterInfobyState_Timeout_dom = setTimeout(widget_load_check_dom, 500); background-color: #f9d334; Ive lived her my whole life and I know how those folks operate and the only poll Im really concerned about is the one on election night and weve done pretty well tonight.. Hoyos is the first well-funded, credible Democrat to run in the district in recent memory and she gained more votes than she did two years ago, but so did Burchett and he ended up besting her. } Heading into the 2022 elections, based on results from the 2020 and 2016 presidential elections, the Cook Partisan Voter Index for this district was R+18. The filing deadline was April 7, 2022. Was absentee/mail-in voting available to all voters? padding-left: 16px; document.getElementById('leg-hnt-content640374bb905bf').classList.add('leg-hnt-hide'); Leahy: Well, I always enjoy having you on, Tim, because you're a fun guy and you got a great sense of humor. Research: Josh Altic Vojsava Ramaj Rep. Tim Ryan, right, a Democrat running for an open U.S. Senate seat in Ohio, talks with apprentices while touring the South Central Ohio Carpenters' Training Center outside Columbus on Jan. 25. Sometimes sequels are new and surprising with twists and turns. padding-left: 20px !important; .votebox-results-metadata { } He is most proud of theMicroloan Transparency and Accountability Act of 2020and the Prison to Proprietorship for Formerly Incarcerated Act, both of which are bipartisan. Burchett will compete for the U.S. House District 2 seat against Democratic . (December 26, 2018 / JNS) Editor's Note: A number of incoming members of Congress, including those in the upcoming Democratic House majority, will bring new faces to the Jewish and pro-Israel community. .votebox-scroll-container { When Lt. Gov. A Republican, Burchett was formerly mayor of Knox County, Tennessee. .election_results_text { Do you believe that it's beneficial for representatives to have previous experience in government or politics? Good morning, Congressman Burchett. } [11], Salvia divinorum.mw-parser-output .hatnote{font-style:italic}.mw-parser-output div.hatnote{padding-left:1.6em;margin-bottom:0.5em}.mw-parser-output .hatnote i{font-style:normal}.mw-parser-output .hatnote+link+.hatnote{margin-top:-0.5em}, Burchett sponsored a bill in 2006 to make illegal "possessing, producing, manufacturing, distributing, or possessing with intent to produce, manufacture, or distribute the active chemical ingredient in the hallucinogenic plant Salvia divinorum in the state of Tennessee. padding: 2px 0; max-width: 600px; "They hook up with members of Congress, not when they're in Congress, but back when they were in college.". Ten candidates one Democrat and nine Republicans ran to replace Cooper, the most candidates who ran for a seat this year. .results_row td:first-child { border-left: 1px solid #ddd; Rep. Tim Burchett (R-Tenn.) is a fan of The Epoch Times, because, as he told me during a Zoom interview on Jan 13, "I sneak around the paywall all the time to read the articles." chevron = $(this).find('i.fa-pull-right'); He ran for Congress because he was fed up with the status quo in our nations Capitol. } clearInterval(nTimer); width: 100%; Tim Burchett's income source is mostly from being a successful Politician. Click here for a list only including challengers to incumbents. .votebox { Under Review. He served in the House for two two-year terms, from 1995 to 1998. 2023 www.knoxnews.com. .leg-hnt-leadership-title { .votebox_legend .non_result_row { if (document.readyState === 'complete') { Timothy Floyd Burchett (born August 25, 1964) is an American politician who is the U.S. representative for Tennessee's 2nd congressional district, based in Knoxville, serving since 2019. The numbers in this section are updated as candidates file new campaign finance reports. }); How old were you at the time? "Together, we made half a million contacts with voters, raised more money than any Democrat ever has in this district, are going to get more votes than a Democrat ever has in this districtand most importantly proved that for East Tennessee Democrats the worst days are behind us," Hoyos said in a statement after results came in.