Andre also shows a lot of love for his dad on social media, as well. In the photos, he is elegantly posing next to a pool wearing a blue mini-dress that fits him just right. By Barbara Pavone / Updated: Aug. 3, 2021 7:23 pm EDT. While Johnson can now attest to 30 years of life after being diagnosed with HIV, his journey living with the disease has been far from easy. Where is Magic Johnson from? xhr.open('POST', 'https://www.google-analytics.com/collect', true); section: | slug: magic-johnson-opens-up-on-living-with-hiv-30-years-after-his-diagnosis | sport: basketball | route: article_single.us | Public and private medical insurance, as well as various assistance programs, make the medicines more affordable and available to the vast majority of patients in the United States and other parts of the world. Magic Johnson is not only a legendary basketball player but a father of three. Therapists say it can damage your connection. When the NBA star first learned that EJ was gay, Magic expressed that this wasnt what he wanted for his son. However, EJ had already discussed his sexual orientation with his family. Interestingly enough, EJ spilled all the inside tea when he appeared on Jada Pinkett Smiths Red Table Talk. He is an openly gay man who champions the rights and freedoms of the LGBTQ+ community. Ive never done anything on television that is this honest and real, he shared in an Instagram post promoting the segment. After the discussion, Magics wife made sure to let him know that his reaction wasnt OK. Magic admitted to blurting out the first thing that came to his mind. Remember, HIV-AIDS were still primarily labeled gay diseasesback then. In response to the headlines, Magic said, Cookie and I love EJ and support him in every way. "And he just could not stand it. This was the first time he was out in public as gay. According to a 2021 profile of Magic, his mother, a devout Christian, felt the nickname was "blasphemous.". He is Cookie Johnsons oldest child but Magic Johnsons middle child. In 1991, the 13-season Los Angeles Lakers star married his wife, Cookie, who gave birth to their son EJ Johnson soon after. The 29-year-old reality TV personality came out to the basketball great, 62, in 2010, and at first, the latter wasn't too. Everyone expected his life to suffer after his diagnosis. 10 amazing health stories you may have missed in 2021, How mental health affects physical health, "They told me that the three-drug combination was going to save my life, and they were right," Johnson told The Guardian (opens in new tab) in 2021. (Photo: Lev Radin/Pacific Press/LightRocket via Getty Images) "It. He also shared some insight into his diet and exercise routine. He was like this when he was a baby, it cant be wrong. Were getting a closer look into the life and career of NBA legend Magic Johnson with They Call Me Magic streaming on Apple TV+. Furthermore, a low viral load severely reduces the risk of transmitting the virus to others. While some of Johnsons Dream Team mateslike Charles Barkleysupported the idea of Johnson returning to the NBA, otherssuch as Utah Jazz forward Karl Maloneshowed outward concern (from the Nov. 1, 1992 edition of the New York Times): Look at this, scabs and cuts all over me, Malone, the Utah Jazz All-Star forward, said last Tuesday night in the visitors locker room at Madison Square Garden before a preseason game against the Knicks. Despite indicating the doctors told him there was no risk of transmission, Johnsons return during the 1992 preseason was frowned upon. During a period when Magic and Cookie had broken up, he dated a woman named Melissa Mitchell, with whom he had a son, Andre, on Feb. 20, 1981. Sunday marks the 30th anniversary of Magic Johnson's decision to retire from basketball upon learning he had been diagnosed with HIVone of the biggest, most impactful moments for . Not only has Magic Johnson carried on the way he likely envisioned prior to a premature retirement, but also he remains one of the games best ambassadors. Currently, EJ is reportedly single. When you're close with your siblings, you don't ever really consider that one day you might be competing for boyfriends. News' "Just the Sip" in 2019 (via People). 1:59 Coming for b*tches 5:48 Unlikely friends 7:24 Magic Johnsons Son 9:48 The ho phase 11:06 Transitioning? EJ dropped the bombshell during an episode of "EJNYC," where he claimed that Elisa's then-boyfriend, French model Anthony Alcaraz, was the same guy he had previously kissed in a club. The HIV-AIDS epidemic began in earnest in the 1980s, but there was still very little knowledge as to how the disease was contracted or what it meant in terms of contagiousness and long-term impact. (Image credit: Science Photo Library - SCIEPRO via Getty Images). Since nobody in the Johnson family had ever addressed EJ's sexual preference at that time, TMZ published the photo like it was a scoop. spinoff, EJNYC, which followed his life as he moved to New York City. The date was November 7, 1991. "Feeling all the elation feels today," EJ wrote on Instagram, sharing the news that he'd voice Michael Collins. "I am very, very, very blessed to have the family that I do," he said on "Gwissues." (Image credit: YakubovAlim via Getty Images). These and other HIV-fighting drugs are "hideously expensive," said Lieb. EJs mom said that her husband was worried about his son living his life in a world that would not understand him. ESPN and Fox aired primetime tributes to Johnson's son Michael, who died Friday at the age of 33 after a lifelong struggle with muscular dystrophy. Johnson says he was sitting in a hotel in Utah, getting ready for an exhibition game when he got the call. E.J. Awood "Mr. Magic" Johnson, a rapper best known for his work in the 90's on the No Limit Records label, has died. "Feeling all the elation feels today," EJ wrote on Instagram, sharing the news that he'd voice Michael Collins. "I was just like, 'Well, do I want to transition? I also said that I was going to become a spokesperson in the fight against the human immunodeficiency virus and an advocate for practicing safe sex by using condoms. EJ, 30, came out. He'd come up with stupid rules: 'No scarves in the house.' During the life cycle of the virus, HIV integrates into the host DNA. All Rights Reserved. Discovery Company. He has a Bachelor's degree in History from the University of Leeds. "High ART costs are among many structural barriers that lead to poor treatment access and adherence, contributing to suboptimal HIV outcomes in the United States," according to a report published by JAMA Internal Medicine (opens in new tab) in 2020. "As we talk today, right now, I'm thinking, 'Wow' its been 30 years and I'm still here, healthy. "It was hard because I loved her so much and I hated to hurt her," Magic Johnson said. Although the unfortunate response to Johnsons condition will forever be somewhat of a black mark on the NBAgranted, HIV was a mostly unknown diseaseit is interesting to look back at some of the phrases and words Johnson used during his first retirement press conference in 1991. Earvin Johnson III (born June 4, 1992) is an American television personality and socialite who is also the son of Magic Johnson.EJ JohnsonNationalityAmericanOccupationTelevision personality, socialite, fashion commentatorMagic Johnson (parent) Earlitha Kelly (mother)2 more rowsMagic Johnson Magic Johnson Kids In 2013, TMZ published a story with photos of EJ holding hands with his then-boyfriend. In 1995, the Johnson family adopted Elisa Johnson when she was a baby. Needless to say, basketball legends Isiah Thomas and Magic Johnson ceased being true friends a long time ago. His role as an influencer is a staple in his work that is grounded in gender-flouting. He is currently based in Bournemouth, UK. 2:38 PM EDT, Sat October 30, 2021. What You Don't Know About Magic Johnson's Son EJ, Caitlyn Jenner infamously debuted her transition on the cover of Vanity Fair, reality series followed the eponymous star, Louis Vuitton using Will Smith's son, Jaden Smith, in its women's line ads. It is precisely these kinds of drugs that have helped Magic Johnson manage the disease and have made HIV a chronic health condition rather than a fatal disease. Im almost 100 percent positive I wont. That pretty much says all we really need to know. is amazing, he added. Please fill in your e-mail so we can share with you our top stories! Former basketball star Magic Johnson and his wife Cookie Johnson tied the knot back in 1991, one year before the longtime Los Angeles Lakers player retired from the NBA. Magic Johnson has had a very busy life, from his days in college to his NBA tenure and everything that happened between that and the things he had to live after calling it a career. ", Regardless, EJ admits his loved ones' support helped ground him. Both she and her . EJ (Earvin Johnson III) can relate to this all too well. Johnson Reveals 100+ Weight Loss on Good Day NY! He was 33. In 2013, Johnson came out as gay to his family at the age of 17 after a TMZ report published pictures of him holding hands with a male friend. His style is androgynous, from ankle boots, sheer tops, diamond chokers, and furs to feminine with dresses with thigh-high slits. What's the real deal with EJ Johnson? The NBA tweeted that the league mourns the passing of Michael Johnson., Michael was admired by so many around the league for his remarkable courage and perseverance. A video surfaced on Twitter of Lopez and EJ Johnson getting their dance on to Teena Maries Square Biz while at his Magic Johnsons 60th Birthday party in Saint Tropez. As it turns out, he would be one of the foremost voices in educating the public, including the notion that heterosexuals could contract the disease. I like my body., A post shared by EJ Johnson (@ejjohnson_) on Sep 3, 2019 at 9:42am PDT. Live Science is part of Future US Inc, an international media group and leading digital publisher. if( 'moc.enilnoefiltseb' !== location.hostname.split('').reverse().join('') ) { News), EJ said, "Whether it's the African-American community, or in my case, the gay community, it's important to make sure that we represent those communities in a positive way. I like my body.. Both she and EJ tested negative for HIV. An insider told ET,"The cast was upset because they wanted at least one more season to give closure to their storylines," but it sounds like EJ was ready to be done with all things E! Speaking withThe New York Times, EJ shed light on what went wrong. And that trumped everything," Cookie Johnson said. How and When Did Magic Johnson Contract HIV? Johnson came out as gay to his family at the age of 17 and came out publicly in 2013 after a report by TMZ published pictures of him holding hands with a male friend. Since Dec. 2018, he's been the vice president of business development at a computer gaming company called Mythical Games. She was a part of her brother's EJNYC show in 2016, but Elisa, who is now 26, has said that she didn't exactly enjoy being on reality TV. TMZ Sportspublished the last known paparazzi photo of the pair in 2017 and called Alcaraz Elisa's "quasi-boyfriend." xhr.setRequestHeader('Content-Type', 'text/plain;charset=UTF-8');