It has nothing to do with Ted Blocker etc. Lexipol. Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh. It was faster and more secure than the Jordan holster with its awkward safety strap, and it was easier to draw from while seatedin a car. Im afraid I now own a vast collection of 80s breakfronts Ill never use as well as a new in the bag Safety Speed Clam shell. Aker Leather Swivel Radio Holder for Motorola XTS 3000 Radios $74.00 to $78.00 $59.20 to $62.40 Add to Cart Compare LawPro #NY083 LawPro Nylon Shoulder Mic Holder $12.02 Add to Cart Compare Aker Leather #LP577 Aker Leather Universal Radio Holder $47.00 to $49.00 $37.60 to $39.20 Add to Cart Compare Safariland #LP005 Now, at 66, its just stories. Thanks! SPECIFICATIONS Right Hand fit for Glock 43. In 1983, Safariland owner Neal Perkins asked Rogers to accept a royalty payment in exchange for a Safariland-branded holster which incorporated his holster innovations. Thanks for the article. We do offer a $50 Rush Fee option if you need your order within two weeks. Glad youre enjoying it! Vintage Tex shoemaker Suede Leather IWB Holster for Browning Hi Power Right Left. Also, it was easy for the pushing motion of the index finger to continue after the gun had been drawn, with the finger now on the trigger. Fighting Leather: The Breakfront, Part I, The Pachmayr Aluminum Competition Speedloader, retention level standards that Rogers created, sold his holster company to Safariland in 1985, https://americanhandgunner.com/safariland-bill-rogers/, http://www.c-rusty.com/pages/holsters/vertbelt.html. Upon introduction, the Judge holster immediately became standard issue on the California Highway Patrol, which issued it along with the newly-adopted Model 67 and Model 68 revolvers. $20.13. FOR SALES INQUIRIES (956) 436 -4888. They were discontinued awhile ago but you can still find them on ebay. At CopsPlus, we carry duty holsters from some of the world's most trusted manufacturers, including Safariland, Uncle Mikes and Blackhawk. A clamshell wasnt your average, pedestrian, top draw rig. Thanks for writing in! For additional security, the holster uses a Pivot Guard that covers the back of the slide. NYPD lost 3 per day!. . They were a particular hit with officers in the various city and county motor units, and the California Highway Patrol (CHP), who favored the six inch revolver and needed a design that was secure, yet fast into action. I do not have a law enforcement back ground so this has been very educational for me. So much history that black leather had seen. Turned out I was right. Thanks for taking the time to research all this, then sharing it with us. The two halves of the clamshell were shaped on the inside to fit the gun tightly, so that when the clamshell was locked closed, it would be extremely difficult-practically impossibleto pull the gun out the top of the holster. There are currently 33844 users online. Malloy and Reed may have brought these clever holsters into the public consciousness in the early 70s, but the clamshell holster story goes back much further. Your email address will not be published. Copies of the Bulletin came with a letter from J Edgar Hoover. Police officers have little control of the politics in the State in which they work. An additional device called the Sentry further secures the weapon in the holster. No breaking down and then out and up. After seeing him have to fiddle around with it to re-holster, I came to the conclusion it was a useless design for LEOs. As a result, many officers were forced to tuck guns into their belts or use some other inefficient (and potentially dangerous) workaround when the gun was no longer needed, such as trying to cuff a suspect using only one hand. Id like to have one just for the sake of having one, but certainly would never allow it to be issued for real use. First with my Colt Python, then in the late eighties the department switched to a Sig Sauer 226 9mm, and later to a 229 .40 after several shootings where the 9mm was not effective. Following the success of its initial collaboration with Vertx, Premier Body Armor announces its continued partnership. The pic below was taken by my friend JayCee of his USAF issued M15. Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection. But it wasnt just a slick show for the tube. David, thanks for sharing the story! USA. So, the Serpa has an ancestor from the revolver era. The Model 27 and Safety Speed designs were closed because the base of the closure spring was seated at the bottom of the leading edge. I hope youll stick around and check out the other great stories here on RevolverGuy. It was not hard to do once you knew how. The image of those great sixguns being drawn from the trick holsters was pure TV magic! If you know anything about the famous Lewis Holsters, Id love to read an article about it! All that said, I do appreciate the research and history lesson. As I mentioned after reading your book, I carried a 4 clamshell until the department (LAPD) wouldnt allow them any longer. By the time of the Bianchi Model 2800, most folks assumed the design features of the breakfront had reached a certain level of maturity where there wasnt a lot of room for improvement. speaking of LAPD what type of duty gear do they wear? I remember having a phone conversation with an employee. I carried one my whole career. As such, they shared the faults of all swivels. The Safety Speed offered an improvement with its cutout trigger pocket, but the Model 2800 took a different approach. For more information on this holster, visit gouldusa.com or call 800-277-0732. Some agencies, like the LAPD, had armorers who could inspect and adjust clamshell holsters to ensure more reliable operation, but the design weakness was never perfectly addressed, and it was one of the key reasons that clamshells were eventually prohibited for duty use (as LAPD finally did, in the mid-1980s). #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29. Operating the safety strap was a motion that took some time, and the officer could not establish his grip to draw the gun until this step was complete. Dang eliminator, your making me feel old with the clam shell comment. In the Judge, the metal cups that surrounded the cylinder added strength and helped the holster maintain its shape. Minneapolis, MN. Did they replace the outer part of the shell, or just reshape it when you went to the 686? Quick View. In an interview with RevolverGuy, Mr. Bianchi told us that the work performed by the in-house tool and die department (the magicians behind the scenes, according to Mr. Bianchi)to optimizethe machinery, tools, and processes for manufacturing the Model 27 was so exhaustive, that anyone else would have given up, because the reward wouldnt have been worth the effort.. The MSRPs forthese holsters start at $108. The revolver for that holster is indeed the S&W Model 15 Combat Masterpiece, a four inch barreled, target sighted .38 Special revolver. Create Account; Log Out ; Log In ; Wishlist 0; Shopping Cart 0; Home; About A picture is below, my revolver is not for sale. $20.89. In the mid-1970s, Rogers wore many hats as a former FBI agent, a world class competition shooter, and the owner/operator of the newly-established Rogers Shooting School. Additionally, since the closure springs went around the cups, the cups helped to obtain a uniform clamping force on the gun in the holster. Look for a box or option labeled Home Page (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari) or On Startup (Chrome). As low as $102.99. Everyone with the Hoyts drew a certain pleasure in drawing to get that particular pop sound when all parts of your revolver cleared the leather at the same time. The Pro-3 can be had in a variety of finishes including plain nylon and basket weave. Tell your friends! The Rogers Type I Paddle Holster was a leather-lined breakfront holster with a shell made from polymer (Kydex-type material). Quotes. Using the companys Tactical Modular Mount System, an officer can move the WRS holster from a duty belt to a tactical vest or thigh rig without the need to remove the pistol. For more information, visit blade-tech.com or call 877-331-5793. Furthermore, the tightly-fitted interior of the holster helped to prevent cylinder rotation, which made the Jewett design resistant to accidental discharges while the gun was still in the holster. The customer service matches the product too (if you can believe that!). It seems that Ive never met a copper outside of California who used a clamshell on duty. FOR ORDER STATUS & QUESTIONS PLEASE CALL (956) 744-3219 - 9:00 AM TO 6:00 PM USA CENTRAL TIME. It was sexy, and reeked of the gunfighter mystique. I still have it. Because the gun was left unsupported by the holster when the clamshell opened up, there was a tendency for the trigger finger to grip the trigger in an attempt to keep the gun from falling, especially if a proper grip had not been achieved before the release button was activated. Then later, the desk jockeys at the Office decided they hadnt impaired the street guys enough, so they came up with a mandatory issue, a Tex Shoemaker (sp?) The trigger guard lock was also omitted on the WRATH, but the routing of the safety strap behind the trigger guard, and the cylinder recess in the holster body, provided a similar protection from an upward draw / snatch attempt. $1500 by the time it was done. Bolstering the high-impact strength of our . 7320 SW Bonita Road Tigard, OR 97224 US503-670-7972 (phone), Hours of Operation:Monday-Friday 9am-5pm (PST)Open Thursdays till 7pm. Level 3 - Has two retention methods plus . Basketweave, plain and matte finishes are all available. The markings on the back are 4S 357M 57 4. He makes rigs for a lot of LEO who are usually (a) single, and (b) dont have support payments. Additionally, since the holster body was made of stamped steel covered with leather, there were occasions where a fall or crash (typically involving a motorcycle officer) resulted in the revolver getting trapped in the crushed holster. 1965. I was in heaven; they were all there. I was a cop in the Detroit area from 1967 to 1982. FEATURES Full grain genuine leather handcuff holder Will fit one pair of handcuffs The holder is a BELT CLIP . I have owned a Ted Blocker swivel, for a 1911, and though its been a while, it was the most comfortable holster I used, and if worried about retention, Ted makes (or use to anyways, its been a few years) a interesting security strap system that is quick and secure. This was due to several negligent discharges blamed on the holster. Phone Model: APX 6000 (NON-XE) / 8000 (NON-XE) MSRP: $84.99. One Lt. told me I couldnt carry like this but our manual still allowed us a Smith & Wesson, Colt, or Ruger Revolver. Yup, hadnt been updated in years! Black Leather. 2010? 2010. breakfront. The BOSS is credited as the first police security holster (earning a Level II designation under the retention level standards that Rogers created), and it was an instant hit. I hope well hear more from you here on RG. All rights reserved. The holsters can also be had in a variety of colors other than black to match a tactical teams uniforms. Fortunately, Bill Rogers hadnt got the word. Some of the Model 27 improvements over the Berns-Martin were subtle, but there was one aspect of the design which marked a radical changethe Model 27 was designed for mass production. Ayoob, Massad. On other designs, the upper edges of the leather cutout (where the rear edge of the cylinder would contact) could become worn with time, and lose their ability to resist an upward drawing movement. Nelson, for continuing to make such iconic police equipment during these days when holsters are made of faux leather, space-aged plastics, and kydex! This belt holster features a non-slip rubberized finish and button cutouts for easy access to all functions and controls on your iPhone. The trigger guards on the new autopistols were shaped differently than the revolvers they replaced, and couldnt be trapped in place by a pocket built into the holster like those on the round guns. The varieties of grips, wood and synthetic, allowed one to make a statement on what fit their hand the best. This holster has not been used ammo loops have never had any ammo in them and holster has a scratches from having a revolver been inserted. Even with agencies that issued everything, the revolver was where the most predominant form of personalization took place. Is it for a 4 gun with a big frame? Not commercially, but you might find a sample on the electronic auction sites. A nice touch! The laminate produced by Rogers Holster Company offered many advantages over traditional leather construction, such as resistance to moisture (including water, blood, gasoline, etc. Whether you're in Law Enforcement, Competition shooting, Hunting, or just like a good looking Holster that respects you and your gun, Ted Blocker Holsters are a symbol of quality and excellence for over 50 years Featured collection Swivel Belt Loop and Drop Shank for Law Enforcement $144.00 J Belt - 1.5" Wide $95.00 #1 Lifeline Shoulder Rig $265.00