That experience should only help him. Upon reaching MLB,the 26-year-old set the rookie record for home runs with 53. He likes where his power swing is at, and feels ready to repeat his 2019 heroics in the high. Izabrony Additional comment actions. #PeteAlonso pic.twitter.com/Nw2uCphuqK, And still, champion. Moments before taking the field at this years Home Run Derby, cameras captured the slugging first baseman deadlifting 135 pounds in full uniform. As a survivor of stage 3 colon cancer, Mancini was already a rich source of inspiration before his performance in the derby on Monday night. The game is back from a break and intensifying.Andrea's triple Villaro exploded the advantage of Super, was redone with a 0-4 run to get back in front (47-50).Mariela Fasoura She kept her teammates alive by chaining three consecutive baskets that gave the initiative back to Avenida. Alonso used one to win in 2019 and Bryce Harper the year before. PHOTOS: New York Mets' Pete Alonso wins 2021 All-Star Home Run Derby at Coors Field. Two years ago, Pete Alonso put on an eye-popping show in a memorable Home Run Derby victory. 2023 Minute Media - All Rights Reserved. . Here's how the 2021 Home Run Derby played out. Thats how I describe how I play.. Soto, the No. His oncologist, Dr. Nilo Azad, threw out the ceremonial first pitch at Camden Yards before the Orioles hosted the Chicago White Sox last Friday night. Monday, it felt like the Mets slugger might challenge that number in the first round. It is tiring, for sure, but it was a lot of fun for the first time, Gallo said. 2 seed, was ousted by hometown Rockie Trevor Story in the first round. No humidor and high altitude makes for some good dinger-hittin'. He joined Griffey and Yoenis Cespedes as the only back-to-back winners, and could clearly challenge Griffeys record of three overall titles. Its a lot of swings, he said. He has crushed the ball at every level, hitting 14 homers in his final year at Florida and getting 36 across Double-A and Triple-A in 2018. The slugger hit .274 with 32 homers and 97 RBIs in 160 games last year. Watch it now on @espn! After talking about being the bar and being the standard following his first round, his post derby interview was just as great. Pete Alonso used one-of-a-kind and sentimental bats to win his second-straight Home Run Derby. Monday night, New York Mets first baseman Pete Alonso bested Baltimore Orioles first baseman Trey Mancini in the finals of the 2021 Home Run Derby at Coors Field in Denver. Alonso then breezed past Washingtons Juan Soto and then Baltimores Trey Mancini for the victory. Nobody. Mark McGwire had the longest ball in the 1998 Derby at mile-high Coors, a 510-footer. The New York Mets first baseman owns the longest in-game home run of any player competing in this year's Derby. Surhoff. DENVER Pete Alonsos words were as bold as his home runs. Alonso ended up hitting 15,659 feet of home run in the first round alone. Its exciting. 11:15 pm ET, at But then he went out and made the finals while also pushing Alonso close to the limit. Two over 510 feet. To be able to do it back-to-back, this is really special for me. To be able to battle the way he battled and come back and perform the way he has this year says a lot about him, his grit and his toughness.. pic.twitter.com/E3u5QQN2hu, 2 chainz. DUNEDIN., Fla. Toronto Blue Jays first baseman Vladimir Guerrero Jr. left the spring training game against Tampa Bay with right knee discomfort. 11:26 pm ET, at NEW YORK -- After putting on one of the most spectacular shows in the history of the Home Run Derby two years ago, Pete Alonso is returning to defend his crown. Bitter Yankees rivalry is exactly what MLB needs a lot mor Daniel Jones needs to see big picture in Giants negotiations, Red-hot Jon Rahm no match for wind-swept Bay Hill: 'F--king hard', The Marchand and Ourand Sports Media Podcast, The Show with Joel Sherman and Jon Heyman, Amazin' But True: A NY Mets Baseball Podcast, Gangs All Here: A NY Jets Football Podcast, Kellyanne Conway and George Conway to divorce, Canadian teacher with size-Z prosthetic breasts placed on paid leave. He has a chance to match Griffey, who also won in 1994, as the only three-time champion. Thats what he wants., Im the Best Power Hitter on the Planet, https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/13/sports/baseball/pete-alonso-home-run-derby.html. SBJ Unpacks: Coronavirus -- NFL Preps For Hit To Regular Season. We're joined by Gary, Jamie, James McNicholas from The Athletic & fans from Arsenal & Manchester City.Our Arsenal fans are as confident as ever, but Gary is still sceptical on Arsenal's title challenge, doubting their experience.But is this a different Manchester City team to their previous title winning sides? The content on this site is for entertainment and educational purposes only. Alonso set the record for most home runs in the first round of a derby when he clobbered 35 long balls, beating out Royals catcher Salvador Perez. 2. "I feel like. There was no point where I thought I was going to lose. Pete Alonso is an official Derby legend. New York Mets slugging first basemen Pete Alonso did not disappoint as he showcased his power in the 2021 home run derby. As a subscriber, you have 10 gift articles to give each month. Monday, it felt like the Mets slugger might challenge that number in the first round. Im going to win anyway. This is probably also a good time to highlight the work of Mets bench coachDave Jauss, who delivered pitch after pitch right into Alonso's wheelhouse: This is absolutely insane from Dave Jauss. He set a. Joey Gallo, the No. Alonso, 24, earned the chance by slamming 30 home runs in the first half, matching the most any Met has ever hit before the All-Star break. There will be seven challengers looking to take the crown . 10:50 pm ET, at Im like, No, Im going to win anyways, it doesnt matter, Alonso said. Accompanying him was Nationals special assistant David Jauss,. Its really fun and kind of a great meshing of two worlds., The bats included phrases and other things holding special meaning to Alonso, including Family First, LFGM and the Greek phrase Molon Labe from one of the sluggers favorite movies, 300, which means come and take them., Even though Im outnumbered nine to one, Im in my little area, like when the Spartans defended, only 300 of them defended against all odds, Alonso told ESPN. In fact, so incredible was the performance that not only is Pete Alonso now a back-to-back Home Run Derby champ, the Mets may or not be seriously considering him for a spot in the. But I can close my eyes and hit a spot.. Free shipping for many products! "You have a ton of options, it's like a shooting gallery." #PeteAlonso is your back-to-back #HRDerby Champion! Alonso was not named to the 2021 National League All-Star team, but had no doubts that he would dominate the undercard for Tuesday nights game. Mancini went first and impressed with 22 home runs, but Pete was too locked in the night and edged him out for the win. Alonso will enter this years derby with 17 home runs, and two in his previous three games. He currently serves as the manager of the Italian national baseball team. Pete Alonso used one-of-a-kind and sentimental bats to win his second-straight Home Run Derby. After his winning blast, Alonso flexed for a brief moment, headed toward the mound and then put on a giant chain. It is impossible to not like him, a ton of confidence while backing it up with his play, but also humble and down to earth. pic.twitter.com/jYgFlXhtuq, That's a wrap on the #HRDerby. His arm never gets sore, he said, and his aim is still true. The best insights from the ultimate insiders, 2023 NYP Holdings, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
. Watch as Pete Alonso speaks on Becoming Back-to-Back Home Run Derby Champion: \"I Think I'm The Best Power Hitter\"Subscribe to our Baseball Page for MLB all the time from Fanatics View by clicking here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7tk0cTJsg3c9vzwEDzZ6Qw?sub_confirmation=1Subscribe to Fanatics Views Main Sports Channel here:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy31smm3GNCgbSgYm9hb41Q?sub_confirmation=1https://www.youtube.com/fanaticsvieworiginals#PeteAlonso #Mets #HomeRunDerbyFanatics Views other sports channels can be subscribed to here as wellBasketball Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChYA8XpBfYwSIDGp6p70WagBoxing \u0026 MMA Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClMSjEKmxTNrA-LYrU_RtRg4th \u0026 Inches - NFL \u0026 College Football Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtpm2KGfgIjk_jwjmBhB2TwBaseball Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7tk0cTJsg3c9vzwEDzZ6QwHockey Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoby8PXM_ZnMOWolmcXrXrg Texas Rangers Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLX42_yGHWzyjFmJi5FYHbbXZNZ3foanOELos Angeles Dodgers Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLX42_yGHWzyheVn61dnkICtLY3UAbbqwdAtlanta Braves Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLX42_yGHWzyjHC7HIvjOxC2ShStC20p-nSeattle Mariners Playlisthttps://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLX42_yGHWzyiA7JsAjWo2SNcm14Gek5ZlTampa Bay Rays Playlist:https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLX42_yGHWzyhaKrgo4zImMl3jWFThpBOOBatting Practice Playlisthttps://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLX42_yGHWzyj106ebjSLZfyph5TU1NuuSFanatics View Exclusive MLB Interviews Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLX42_yGHWzyjChe0Kgm0pAY7plcNBRt49Fanatics View is credentialed and recognized by all major sports leagues - including the NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL and sport of Boxing. TAMPA (WFLA/AP) - Mets slugger Pete Alonso defended his Home Run Derby title by beating Salvador Perez, Juan Soto and Trey Mancini. Alonsos 17 home runs before the break tied him for 14th in the National League, leaving him as the No. He advanced to the final with another narrow win, beating Story, 13-12, to earn his chance at the trophy. The Los Angeles Angels' two-way star came up short against the. Its going to be a really fun time, said Alonso, who is looking to become the fourth player to win the competition more than once, joining Prince Fielder, Yoenis Cespedes and Ken Griffey Jr. I love hitting at Coors [Field]. 11:02 pm ET, at With the win, he becomes just the third player ever to win back-to-back Derbies. My parents let me stay up past my bedtime to watch this, the 26-year-old recalled. Im just going to get a lot of sleep, as much as I can, he said. #HRDerby pic.twitter.com/0SrfpkLlFl, The stars are out in Denver for the Celebrity Softball Game. , Man charged after dead body, infant found in apartment, Infants death linked to contaminated breast pump,, Carjacking suspect caught after wild chase in L.A., Dillon Brooks Blasts Warriors, Draymond Green in, Chase Elliott to Miss Race After Injuring Leg in, Ex-NBA Player Anthony Morrow Arrested on Kidnapping,, Spirit Sign Youngest Player in NWSL History, 15-Year-Old, Report: Cowboys to Franchise Tag Pollard If No Deal, Adam Schefter Pranks Podcasters With Fake Lamar Jackson, Sources: Giants Offer QB Jones Between $35 Mil and, What Each Likely First-Round QB Needs From Their, CAT scan: Pet goes through X-ray machine at Virginia, Bradenton family home ransacked by intruders: police. The Polar Bear simply needs to stand in the batter's box and swing as hard as he can. Alonsos second-round opponent was Juan Soto, setting up an all-NL East semifinal after the Nationals slugger ousted Ohtani in an epic first round. The Mets first baseman announced on Instagram on Wednesday that he'll participate in his second career Derby next month in Denver after winning his first one in 2019. 6 seed Trey Mancini in the final. Five to tie, six to win. thrower and to be able to come out on top like this is really special, not just for me, but for him.. Alonso set the Mets' franchise record with his 42nd home run, raising his right fist into the air as he danced around the bases with the ball soaring 407 feet over the right-field wall, and. Were going to take it home again, the Mets slugger said on Sunday before a 6-5 loss to the Pirates to close out the first half of the season. His slugging percentage has fallen from .583 in his first season to .478 through 77 games in 2021. In the process, the Mets first baseman won $1 million for his 74 home runs. Our live blog was running all night with highlights and analysis. Did Manchester . Alonso, who won the Home Run Derby in 2021 and 2019, returned for the 2022 edition in Los Angeles on Monday. Alonso has one distinction, though his titles are over three seasons. Really, really cool.","type":"markdown"},{"__typename":"ExternalEmbed","data":{"__typename":"ExternalEmbedContent","html":", @gregorysiff created some artwork for #PeteAlonso to swing at tonights #HRDerby. Alonso crushed 35 home runs in the first round, the highest single-round total of the night, and 23 homers in the final round to beat Mancini. The secret weapon was Jauss and his pinpoint, deadeye accuracy. The difference between the two teams was minimal until tripled. That meant Alonso came in as the defending champ. Copyright 2023 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. All 74 of Pete Alonso's homers. @Mets slugger Pete Alonso caught up with @LGRed after winning his second-straight @TMobile #HRDerby! "I feel like Im the best power hitter on the planet," he told reporters after beating Baltimore Orioles star Trey Mancini in the final. Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Flipboard (Opens in new window), Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window), Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window). Mancini finishes 2nd in 'really special' Derby, Everybody knows the story by now, but the last year and a half was something that you have nightmares about, Mancini said. 11:07 pm ET, at More From This Game. 2019 Topps Now Pete Alonso RC PSA 10 Gem Home Run Derby Gold Bonus #HRD-2B. Although he was eliminated in Round 1, Ohtani fans can look forward to the Tuesday's All-Star Game, when Ohtani will serve as the American League's starting pitcher and starting DH. It was quite a ride for Baltimores Mancini, who was a long shot to win the event. He used a bat with custom designs by Gregory Siff, an artist from Queens now based in Los Angeles. 1.7M views 238K views 10 months ago. Mauricio has been an eye-opener thus . Jauss hopes he isnt remembered for his performance on Monday. That occasioned some derby history: PETE ALONSO35 HOME RUNSMost in a first round, and 3rd-most in any round in HR Derby history. https://scorestream.com/apiJsCdn/widgets/embed.js, Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information. And I believe for it to be functional and put balls over the fence, its truly remarkable. What does the winner of the Home Run Derby get? Pitching strikes to Alonso was Dave Jauss, the teams bench coach. Pete Alonso hits a home run over the left-field wall to extend New York's lead to 5-2 in the top of the 5th inning. 5 seed in the Derbys eight-man field. CBS Sports is a registered trademark of CBS Broadcasting Inc. Commissioner.com is a registered trademark of CBS Interactive Inc. site: media | arena: mlb | pageType: stories | Since MLB moved to the current bracket-based, time-oriented format, the Home Run Derby has been phenomenal. Share. 12:29 am ET, at Ohtani hit six 500-foot home runs and 15 475-foot home runs, both records in a single round in the Statcast era (2015 to present). Youre defending your title; what guy thats defending their title is a fifth seed? Thanks for contacting us. Last year in Denver was Ohtani -mania, but it was Pete Alonso taking the title. "I feel like I'm the best power hitter in the game," Alonso told ESPN during a television interview after winning the Home Run Derby. the king of 'batting practice home runs' pete alonso . It doesnt matter.. 10:44 pm ET, at To put in perspective how dominant Alonso truly was, Perez would have beat every other contender if he faced them instead of Alonso and he still lost. I talked to him and told him about my story and my personality, and I gave him creative freedom and he gave me the absolute best arsenal out of everyone today. This is why he should be nicknamed "Petaters.". From 2016-19, there were a total of four homers that cracked 500 feet, all by Judge in 2017. He likes where his power swing is at, and feels ready to repeat his 2019 heroics in the high altitude of Colorado. This is gonna be fun. With Alonso winning the derby again, he became only one of only four players to win multiple home run derbies, and one of only three to win back-to-back derbies, joining Yoenis Cespedes and Ken Griffey Jr. By winning the derby, Alonso is also rewarded with $1 million dollars, and the thing I find absolutely mind-boggling is that he has now made more in home run derbies than his actual playing career. Rule No. Life becomes much easier in the Derby. As soon as I saw 35 up there Im like, Thats untouchable.. Alonso barely broke a sweat, swatting 14 home runs in the first 1:57 before calling his timeout. 8 seed, hit 11 homers during his three minutes of regulation time, adding four more in his bonus time for a total of 15. As his final home run soared above Dodger Stadium, Juan Soto fell to one knee and tossed his bat to the sky. New York Mets' slugger Pete Alonso blasted 23 home runs in the final round to beat out Baltimore's Trey . Vladito in 2019 and this year with Ohtani vs Soto and Mancini Ever, Alonso said. Pete Alonso of the New York Mets became the third back-to-back Home Run Derby champion, beating No. Alonso, batting second, beat Soto 16-15 in the second round. Vladimir Guerrero Jr. hit nearly 100 home runs during Monday night's Home Run Derby, and each barreled ball sounded like a piston firing. Being able to showcase that and really put on a fun display for fans, its truly a dream come true for me, because when I was younger my parents let me stay up past my bedtime to watch this.. March 1, 2023 | 00:00:42. #HRDerby pic.twitter.com/SW0O4tJwTe, Pete was born for this. An inspiration to us all. pic.twitter.com/02i1eEpO4Y, What a night! Alonso also took home $1 million for his win in 2019. Nine of the 35 went 475 feet or longer. Ohtani hit home runs 513, 507, 505, 503, 500, and 500 feet. Ohtani will becomes first two-way All-Star. Alonso said his strategy was to conserve his energy, drink plenty of fluids and stay stretched and loose with the help of a massage tool. Alonso won the 2021 Home Run Derby on Monday at Coors Field in Colorado by defeating Trey Mancini in the final round. Alonso hit 25 during his three-minute round, peppering the left-field seats with tape-measure blasts, two of them breaking the 500-foot mark (512, 514).