Look no further! The dad-of-three was given six months to live in 2020 after lung cancer spread to his brain, but decided not to tell anyone about it and continued on as normal. Martin Clunes appearance on GMB leaves viewers distracted. Its productions include many of Martin's famous shows such as Doc Martin, Manhunt and, of course, "Islands of the Pacific". DON'T MISS:Lily Collins opens up on Emily in Paris filming injury[WATCH]The Chase star Darragh Ennis details struggles joining the show[LATEST]Queen Camilla left Drag Race star gobsmacked after conversation[INSIGHT]. For six years (19931999) he also did voice acting for Safeway adverts; he provided the voice of Harry in Safeway's 'When Harry Met Molly' advertising campaign during said years. Phillipa and Martin have one daughter named Emily. Martin who last week revealed that the popular comedy-drama was coming to an end after 16 years on our screens had a real emergency to deal with, after his wife Philippa was injured in a riding accident. Martin is president of the British Horse Society, and according to his biography on their site: "Martins wife Philippa and daughter Emily are also keen riders and together the family keep 16 four-legged friends on their farm in Dorset.". In 2002, Clunes played serial killer John George Haigh in a Yorkshire TV production A Is for Acid, and took the lead in ITV's production of Goodbye Mr Chips. Murdaugh is heckled as he leaves court, Moment teenager crashes into back of lorry after 100mph police race, Ken Bruce finishes his 30-year tenure as host of BBC Radio 2, Family of a 10-month-old baby filmed vaping open up, Missing hiker buried under snow forces arm out to wave to helicopter, Insane moment river of rocks falls onto Malibu Canyon in CA, Fleet-footed cop chases an offender riding a scooter, Ukrainian soldier takes out five tanks with Javelin missiles. [11] He got his first regular television role as one of the sons in the BBC sitcom No Place Like Home,[12] and then starred in two series of the sitcom All at No 20.[13]. [46][clarification needed], Clunes was a patron of the Born Free Foundation, and had filmed several adverts for the charity. Doc Martin s eason 10 will launch in the US on Monday October 17 on Acorn TV. Programme one is devoted entirely to islands off the coast of Scotland, such as Shetland and Barra, and the trend continues well into programme two. The documentary was filmed over a period of three years. In 1996 he told the Irish Independent: "Phillipa is great at budgeting and a fantastic producer - however, I have to say that 'cos we live together!". For other inquiries, Contact Us. 'There was no infection in her appendix and instinct told me that it would be the wrong thing to do. We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you've consented to and to improve our understanding of you. The One Show: Alex Jones snaps at Martin Clunes over shock admission. Philippahas previously been behind many shows that feature has Martin appeared in over the years including Manhunt and Doc Martin. "I wanted to scramble back to the surface but at least had the awareness to realise that was the very last thing I should be doing. Revealed: The new '23' number plates the DVLA deems offensive and has banned including EU23 OFF and GO23 HEL, The secret WhatsApp mode that lets you EDIT texts after you've sent them. The Met Office said next week will start with the coldest day of the year so far with temperatures dropping to near freezing in northern parts of the UK. He married future Doc Martin producer Philippa Braithwaite in 1997. The couple have a daughter born in 1999, called Emily, who as a youngster appeared in one episode of Doc Martin. Martin Clunes has often spoken about the failure of his first marriage - and brutally described it as "rotten". Martin Clunes is arguably best known as Dr Martin Ellingham in the ITV series Doc Martin. Man collapses and dies outside Edinburgh shop after 'taking unwell in street'. That was a never-to-be-forgotten dive off the Inner Hebrides. He played a character called Martin in the 1992 film Carry On Columbus; Richard Burbage in the 1998 film Shakespeare in Love; and Anthony Staxton-Billing in Sweet Revenge the same year. RAF Typhoon jets cause massive sonic boom sweeping across central England when they scramble to intercept a Do YOU know your Adam and Eve from your Ruby Murray? "There is - generally speaking -more of a community spirit, among islanders and more determination to look after one's immediate environment.". in London with the return of her iconic hairstyle, as well as flaunting her slimmer figure. [4] Clunes is related to actor Jeremy Brett, who was variously described as either Clunes' uncle[5] or cousin. [29] In August 2014 Clunes narrated ITV's three-part documentary series Kids with Cameras: Diary of a Children's Ward which saw Newcastle's children's ward through the eyes of its patients. Warren on BBC air date: When does Warren start? It was three and breezy at half-time for the Light Blues. Something went wrong, please try again later. And there is also the 87- strong population of Eigg, in the Hebrides, who forked out half a million pounds to buy the island for themselves with the aim of turning it into a selfsufficient Utopia. We also may change the frequency you receive our emails from us in order to keep you up to date and give you the best relevant information possible. So where would the man best known for his gangster roles prefer? This caused a row while they were out at their favourite Chinese restaurant the following evening and Lucy said he shouted: "You are an embarrassment. When they first met they were both 'party animals', but their once passionate sex life dwindled and she stayed at home studying to become a crisis counsellor. [41] In 2012, he was dropped from an advertising role with Churchill's Insurance after amassing 12 points on his licence for four separate speeding offences, which also led to his being suspended from driving. Clunes has also acted frequently for the radio, including a guest appearance in the BBC Radio 4 series Baldi. A Place in the Sun's Danni Menzies shares heartache over 'inspirational' Jonnie Irwin's illness. Ms Braithwaite had an infection in her gall bladder, and surgeons wanted to take out her appendix. Clunes played Brock in the 1990 film The Russia House. But behind the scenes, he lives a quiet family life in Dorset with his producer wifePhilippa Braithwaite. Martin decided to pop the question while he was doing a holiday programme and he managed to fly Philippa out to the Hawaii shoot. "And they'd agreed to fly Philippa out, and I'd done San Francisco and Hawaii on the same trip and she came out at the end of the Hawaii shoot. Martin told The Mirror: "We met while working together, it's the way it's always been for us and it's absolutely fine.". "So and we all have our own horses and love working and hanging out with them.". The anonymous man was flying to a work conference with his boss with an airline he uses a lot and was offered a first class seat. Rangers 3 Kilmarnock 1 LIVE reaction as Michael Beale picks up another league win. I stood up and said 'thanks for dinner - this is the end' and stormed out. You can stay up-to-date on the top news near you with Dorset Live's FREE newsletters enter your email address at the top of the page or sign up to our newsletters here. Do you have a story to share? For me, Sicily is so many things, but its the people that are at the heart of what always brings me back.. I left school at 16 with six GCSEs - and became a self-made millionaire. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. I'm a vet, and here are five dog breeds most prone to cancer - including Golden Retrievers and Rottweilers. Kate and Prince William 'are keen' for Prince George to have official role in King Charles' coronation - but Royally hard work! But it was still pretty hairy. [42], A sponsor of numerous charities, Clunes made a short on-line film with Stephen Fry about HIV discrimination for the Terrence Higgins Trust. More info. But for those moments, back on the surface after my nightmare dive, I missed them so much - in a way I don't think I'd ever missed them before.". Like Barra, where he romanced his future wife Philippa, as they made the movie Staggered in 1994. But behind the scenes, he lives a quiet family life in Dorset with his producer wife Philippa Braithwaite. But behind the scenes, he lives a quiet family life in Dorset with his producer wife Philippa Braithwaite. Something went wrong, please try again later. Worrying news from down on the farm run by Doc Martin star Martin Clunes in deepest Dorset. Martin's wife Philippa is a talented producer and has worked with her husband on many of the shows he has starred in. When I formed my own theatre company, I always made a point of thanking Sean in the programme notes for each of our productions. James decides to run away to find Santa, but Ruth bumps into him and persuades him to have breakfast, given the journey to the North Pole is a long one. Alexander Martin Clunes OBE DL (born 28 November 1961) is an English actor, comedian, director and television presenter. Actor Martin Clunes cheated death while diving for a new TV series, he revealed yesterday. The scene appears to establish him as an adventurer, a pioneer with only a camera crew to chart his bravery. "But luckily there was somebody on hand, and they very slowly pulled me up. Which means hazardous moments were accidental during the filming of the series rather than contrived. Ms Braithwaite had an infection in her gall bladder, and surgeons wanted to take out her appendix. He added: "Yes, it's nice spending a bit of time on the farm on my own, but all I know is that I'm happiest when Philippa is by my side. In 1998, he was featured in Sweet Revenge and appeared as Richard Burbage in the film Shakespeare in Love. He added: "Yes, it's nice spending a bit of time on the farm on my own, but all I know is that I'm happiest when Philippa is by my side. ONE of the first views you get, of Martin Clunes in his new TV documentary series Islands Of Britain is of him scrambling aboard a Scottish island. Martin Clunes will star as Doc Martin one final time on Christmas day, as fans are treated to one last special from the grumpy doctor. [44] The Buckham Fair is organised in support of these charities. Martin who last week revealed that the popular comedy-drama was coming to an end after 16 years on our screens had a real emergency to deal with, after his wife Philippa was injured in a riding accident. Philippa Braithwaite is the famous wife of Martin Clunes, a great TV producer who also worked with her husband in the show Doc Martin. He is best known for portraying Martin Ellingham in the ITV comedy-drama series Doc Martin and Gary Strang in Men Behaving Badly. As always you can unsubscribe at any time. Philippa likes to keep a private life, as there is very little information about her floating around but what we do know is that she and Martin live on their farm in Dorset with 130 acres to play with. In 1997, he married his current wife Philippa Braithwaite, a producer who has worked on a number of shows with Clunes, including Doc Martin and Manhunt. The Clunes currently live in Beaminster, Dorset. Scots cop who snared World's End serial killer demands justice for other victims. MARTIN Clunes is well-known for his shows including Doc Martin and Manhunt. We both knew it was over. But behind the scenes, he lives a quiet family life in Dorset with his producer wife Philippa Braithwaite. Last year he did documentaries, presenting a series about dogs. Experts weigh in as tremors hit Wales, Cornwall and the Are YOU eating the right colours? Giving an insight into family life he previously opened up on having daughter Emily, saying: "I vividly remember when I met Philippa that her big, involved family was hugely attractive. [32] In 2016, he narrated Rising Damp Forever, a two-part documentary series for ITV3. Martin recently joined The One Show hosts Alex Jones and Harry Judd, where he revealed an on-set incident which saw him in a car accident. "And it wouldn't stop so I just glided into the tree! Lucy Aston is known for By the Sword Divided (1983), Waiting for God (1990), and Leaving (1984). ", "Deputy Lieutenant Commissions DORSET LIEUTENANCY", "Vice Lord-Lieutenant and Deputy Lieutenants of Dorset", "Martin Clunes' Bournemouth University Honorary Degree Citation", "Martin Clunes to be new British Horse Society president", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Martin_Clunes&oldid=1137675480, This page was last edited on 5 February 2023, at 22:18. Martin, 47, says: "This was my attempt to reach the top of Muckle Flugga, in the Shetland Isles, Britain's most northerly point, and it was a lot more hazardous than I wanted it to be. "I miss Philippa and our daughter Emily so much when I am away that I made sure the filming schedule on Islands Of Britain meant I never had to be absent from home for more than a week. Philippa is a 58-year-old producer and executive. He married future Doc Martin producer Philippa Braithwaite in 1997. Martin Clunes wife: How did Martin and his wife first meet? But what is known of Martin's marriage to wife Philippa? [21], Clunes is a regular voice-over artist and is the voice of Kipper in the animated children's series Kipper the Dog. "Later I went back and Martin was sitting there, surrounded by take- away cartons filled with our meal. [57][58][59][60] He was appointed as a Deputy Lieutenant (DL) of the County of Dorset on 19 June 2019. They soon started dating with the actor later proposing in Hawaii while he was away on a work trip. Even Martin's favourite anecdote from the series, has a Scottish subject at the heart of it. She was previously married to Martin Clunes. But another incident occurred off a Scottish island and the experience will stay with Martin forever. After 18 years, the loveable ITV drama has come to an end which left viewers devastated they would no longer be able to watch new episodes of the show. DON'T MISSMartin Clunes wife: The touching way Martin proposed to wife Philippa [INSIGHT]Martin Clunes interview cut off as This Morning thrown into chaos [EXPLIANER]Alex Jones stunned after Martin Clunes dig at The One Show co-star[INSIGHT], "Then we started homebuilding, making this amazing, loving environment for her to grow up in. "There's no preparation for having children, and as soon as Emily was born, I adored it; was excited by it. TALK OF THE TOWN: Doc Martin star Martin Clunes had a real emergency to deal with after his wife was injured in a riding accident. Glastonbury organisers defend ticket price hikes for 2023 music festival. Info. MARTIN Clunes is well-known for his shows including Doc Martin and Manhunt. However, just three years later their marriage was over after a scathing insult drove the final nail into the coffin of their marriage during a dramatic showdown in a restaurant. ITV Martin Clunes: Islands of the Pacific: The Doc Martin star's real-life medical emergency after wife was in a terrible accident The actor has picked up a lot from his time as a TV doctor News By Rory Bennett 21:00, 13 JAN 2022 (Image: PA) Martin Clunes is a man of many talents. Martin, who lives in Dorset with his family and a Noah's Ark of animals including dogs, chickens and horses, certainly came across a fair number of unusual, community-spirited people, while filming the series. WebAlexander Martin Clunes OBE DL (born 28 November 1961) is an English actor, comedian, director and television presenter. "So I'm really glad I kept my nerve and didn't just come racing back to the surface. After the proposal the couple tied the knot in 1997 with a small ceremony, followed by an after-party at The Savoy hotel in London. On 31 January 2013, Clunes narrated ITV documentary Secret Life of Dogs. [34], Clunes's first marriage was to actress Lucy Aston in 1990. London gangster moves to the birthplace of the mob Is that a retirement plan or the plot of your next movie, Ray? 'I can still hear their cruel laughter': Dr Alex George bravely reveals he suffered with an eating disorder Public Service Announcement, do NOT watch these ads! [16] He played the part of Group Captain Barker in the two-part TV mini-series Over Here that same year. The Clunes currently live in Beaminster, Dorset. Get the latest entertainment news sent straight to your inbox with our weekly Showbiz newsletter. Who is Martin Clunes' wife Philippa Braithwaite? I was absolutely fine, I kind of saw it coming and it was all ok.", Alex continued: "This episode is everything you would want for a finale on Christmas day, but of course, Doc Martin comes along and ruins the Christmas spirit.". [37][38] As of 2013[update], Clunes and his family live in Beaminster, Dorset, where they run a farm with heavy horses. Sicily, home of the Mafia, of course. Welcome to the Coronation! [45] In January 2011, Clunes became a patron of Animal Care in Egypt (ACE). For further details of our complaints policy and to make a complaint please click this link: thesun.co.uk/editorial-complaints/, Martin Clunes and Philippa Braithwaite have been married 25 years, Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO). Yet it was she who finally asked for the divorce. We are friends and can appreciate each other. [22] In 2019, Clunes return to sitcom with the BBC1 series Warren, saying "It was just so funny, I couldn't turn it down".[23]. Ray, 63, below reveals: The people in Sicily seem to be more earthy. Martin who last week revealed that the popular comedy-drama was coming to an end after 16 years on our screens had a real emergency to deal with, after his wife Philippa was injured in a riding accident. As for the reasons for making the series, from a personal point of view, I find islands fascinating. [25][26] In January 2011, Clunes presented documentary Martin Clunes: Man to Manta. In truth, I was the one who had a terrible time. I was interested to know if island life was intrinsically different to life on the mainland and, having done the series, it probably is. They divorced in 1997 and Clunes married future Doc Martin producer Philippa Braithwaite late that year. Ray Winstone, 63, pictured at the 'King of Thieves' film premiere in London in September 2018. But behind the scenes, he lives a quiet family life in Dorset with his producer wife Philippa Braithwaite. She was previously married to Martin Clunes. Like Barra, where he romanced his future wife Philippa, as they made the movie Staggered in 1994. "I understand she's recovered from the trauma now - but only just". to which Martin interrupted and claimed: "Very little I'm afraid. Shocked Clunes, 47, has vowed never to dive in British waters again. Martin Clunes dumped by animal charity after riding an elephant. Man arrested after alleged assault in Edinburgh city centre as street sealed off. Info. And Now both are ready to surprise you with the upcoming documentary Farewell Doc Martin, which shows all the details about the shows ten successful series. The 65-year-old comedian stunned at the opening night of Oklahoma! View our online Press Pack. The first film she directed was Staggered which came out in 1994, when she was 30. Hospital staff handed me her medical notes to look at I do wonder whether there wasnt some confusion between me and Doc Martin., The couple, who have been married for 23 years, live a rural existence on their farm in Beaminster. But will they make it back to the village in time for the Christmas parade Louisa has organised? After the proposal the couple tied the knot in 1997 with a small ceremony, followed by an after-party at The Savoy hotel in London. Your instinct is to scrabble and get back to the surface as fast as you can which is the worst thing you can do because you get the bends. Express. In 1997, he married his current wife Philippa Braithwaite, a producer who has worked on a number of shows with Clunes, including Doc Martin and Manhunt. Martin is president of the British Horse Society, and according to his biography on their site: "Martins wife Philippa and daughter Emily are also keen riders and together the family keep 16 four-legged friends on their farm in Dorset." The 17 tell-all will be held with Dr Gabor Mat at 5pm tonight and Buckingham Palace fear he has 'nothing to lose', experts have claimed. The star, an experienced scuba diver, suffered breathing difficulties and had to be rescued. More info. He married future Doc Martin producer Philippa Braithwaite in 1997. Martin and Philippa tied the knot in 1997 with a small ceremony and an afterparty at The Savoy hotel in London - where Martin's acting pal Neil Morrissey was best man. This is an eight-episode series. King Charles' big mistake' of opposing the Queen in Harry and Meghan row. "And then there was the Virginia McKenna factor, on Barra. Dundee United 0 Aberdeen 0 LIVE score and goal updates as Jim Goodwin gets red carpet welcome. Cluness first marriage was to actress Lucy Aston in 1990. When we have a roast on a Sunday, for instance, I'm the one in charge of the meat and the gravy!". As of 2013, Clunes and his household stay in Beaminster, Dorset, the place they run a farm with heavy horses. I have learned about certain conditions and procedures, he revealed at the time. MARTIN Clunes is well-known for his shows including Doc Martin and Manhunt. However, Martin was married at the time and they were originally just good friends. Martin Clunes wife: Philippa has worked Doc Martin and Manhunt alongside Martin. I've seen men in Australia, for example, left crippled by surfacing too quickly after diving for pearls and not having their attack of the bends dealt with. In August 2007, Clunes starred in the ITV/TVNZ co-production The Man Who Lost His Head. She also had a stint working for Scottish Opera and even met Queen Elizabeth II. Doc Martin premieres on ITV on Wednesday September 7 at 9pm, as a big part of the autumn TV schedules 2022, with the Christmas special hitting ITV in December. Lucy went out for a drive on her own and when she came back to their North London flat she realised there was no way to pick up the pieces. "He was so kind and pretended he remembered me. In the final episode of the series, Doc decided to pack up and leave his quaint Cornish town for a bigger position in London. Martin Clunes has often spoken about the failure of his first marriage - and brutally described it as "rotten". Sit-com Men Behaving Badly turned him into a household name in the Nineties and more serious roles, in dramas Doc Martin and William And Mary, have consolidated his position as one of TV's most popular performers. To see all content on The Sun, please use the Site Map. The Clunes currently live in Beaminster, Dorset. She is known for producing Gwyneth Paltrow's 1998 movie Sliding Doors and has worked on a couple of her husband's TV shows, Doc Martin and Manhunt. Child Benefit payments will increase next month - here are the new weekly rates. Martin Clunes Wife Accident Clunes wife, Philippa, was involved in a horse riding accident sometime in 2020. Paul Gascoigne in tears as cops drop 140k raid probe and thieves dodge justice, Racist abuse 'has no place in football' after pensioner hurled vile insult at player, Photo issued by police as man needs stitches after being punched on Bournemouth street, Wine dealer crashed into lamppost and sobbed after boozy event, Man had sex on neighbour's bollard in angry parking row, The 'worst GP surgeries in Dorset' mapped out, A new interactive map shows where the worst-rated practices are in the county, Met Office 'uncertain' about snow predictions in Dorset for next week, It's not looking likely, the forecasters say, despite BBC Weather reports to the contrary, Mother located after premature baby found dead in Poole, Dorset Police say the woman is being supported by officers and it is not being treated as a criminal matter, Premature baby found dead in Poole heathland, Police have launched an urgent appeal to find the child's mother to ensure she is safe, Owner of Westbourne organic food store says shopping local is cheaper, gives you less waste and more tomatoes, While supermarkets have let customers down, independent grocers and organic stores are still able to stock everything, Bournemouth and Dorset knife crime figures on the decrease, despite feeling of unease among locals, Contrary to popular belief, knife crime in both the BCP and wider Dorset area is falling - not rising, Concern growing for missing Poole man who didn't turn up to work, Jack Rogers, 20, was reported missing this afternoon after being last seen at around 10.30pm last night (March 2), Urgent appeal to find missing Bournemouth woman last seen a day ago, Lauren Jones, 35, is described as five feet six inches tall and of slim build with light brown curly hair, Arsenal vs Bournemouth recap: Cherries suffer agonising defeat after Nelson's last-gasp winner, Despite leading by two goals, Cherries fell to a dramatic loss against the league leaders at Emirates Stadium, Bournemouth player ratings vs Arsenal: Defenders brave in late defeat against league leaders, Cherries let a two-goal lead slip in North London in an agonising blow in their bid to avoid relegation, The bustling market town just over the Dorset border perfect for celeb spotting, Frome is a magnet for stars who can't seem to get enough of its charming buildings, thriving high street and vibrant art scene, The Dorset village 'hidden down a country lane' regularly named one of the UK's most beautiful, Nether Compton regularly ranks as one of the most captivating villages that the nation has to offer, AFC Bournemouth's Philip Billing scores Premier League's second fastest goal of all time, He helped give Gary O'Neil's side a wonderful start against table toppers Arsenal, Complaints as cockerels crow 'every 15 seconds', While some complained, others said it was part of living in the countryside, Seven people arrested over Wimborne stabbing as police investigation continues, Dorset Police has issued an update after a man was rushed to hospital with suspected stab wounds last weekend, Find Your Perfect Date Spot in Dorset: Vote for the Most Romantic Destinations in the County. "It was the longest we'd been apart, and I missed her so much that I proposed, while she was really jet-lagged and in such a strange place.". Martin Clunes is a married man. Martin told The Mirror: "We met while working together, it's the way it's always been for us and it's absolutely fine.". Martin rarely talks of his life away from screen although he has previously revealed how he andPhilippa met, saying: "We met while working together, it's the way it's always been for us, and it's absolutely fine.". Talking to Irish News, Martin recalled: "It was the longest we'd been apart, and I missed her so much that I proposed, while she was really jet lagged and in such a strange place.". Kathy Friend, from Glasgow, was involved in a number of nature-related ventures, and formerly worked as a camerawoman. She now works as a manager for the Cheddington Equestrian Therapy and Rehabilitation centre. Actor Martin Clunes cheated death while diving for a new TV series, he revealed yesterday. See today's front and back pages, download the newspaper, order back issues and use the historic Daily Express newspaper archive. They divorced in 1997 and Clunes married future Doc Martin producer Philippa Braithwaite late that year. As always you can unsubscribe at any time. "No," he says, "but if we do a second series of Islands, and they want me to dive down to another deep, dark wreck, I may be less inclined to take the plunge next time", Martin Clunes: Islands Of Britain starts on STV on Sunday at 9pm. Test yourself with this Cockney Rhyming Slang quiz. And Now both are ready to surprise you with the upcoming documentary Farewell Doc Martin, which shows all the details about the shows ten successful series. Philippa is a 58-year-old producer and executive. In April 1997, she told The Mirror: "He told me I was boring and different and I just thought: 'No more.' But behind the scenes, he lives a quiet family life in Dorset with his producer wife Philippa Braithwaite. See today's front and back pages, download the newspaper, order back issues and use the historic Daily Express newspaper archive. According to Linkedin, the 23-year-old went to Hartpury University and studied Equine Science, Equestrian/ Equine studies. The NASUWT said the latest offer from the Scottish Government and councils falls short of what teachers have demanded. Love Island's Dr Alex George 'mortified' after being fat-shamed in public. "[33] In 2019, Martin Clunes: Islands of America was released as a four-part documentary where he traveled to remote islands across the United States. Express. A Mother's Son location: Where was A Mother's Son filmed? Martin Clunes will star as Doc Martin one final time on Christmas day, as fans are treated to one last special from the grumpy doctor. Talking to Irish News, Martin recalled: "It was the longest we'd been apart, and I missed her so much that I proposed, while she was really jet lagged and in such a strange place.". Although Phillipa hasn't spoken to the press herself about her strengths, Martin has done so on various occasions. The Doc Martin actor and Lucy were married for seven years until they split in 1997.