Made this recipe a few days ago and it was so flavorful and delicious. Jollof rice is the highlight of the menu at Nigerian parties and restaurants. I love jollof rice and have always wanted to try making my own. I made this recipe for a Nigerian birthday party and it was a hit!!! And yes you are correct it is 1/4 cup of tomato puree. If living in the united states, I will recommend using the parboiled rice from the African store or Uncle Bens parboiled rice (converted brand). 1 onion4. 1 . Required fields are marked *. . Itis one of the most common West African dishes eaten in the regions of Nigeria, Ghana, Togo, Senegal, Gambia, Mali, Sierra Leone, Ivory Coast, Cameroun, and Liberia. Im sure you will love it! I mean, youd want to lick it clean. It is better to use 1:0.5 for rice to water ratio since the stew will also help soften the rice. This rice really has some beautiful flavors! } Add sliced onions and saut about 3 minutes until soft. Thank you for this recipe! It consists mainly of cooked rice and tomato stew flavored with spices such as thyme, scotch bonnet pepper, onions, and garlic. If Ozoz Sokoh could get her hands on me! There they call this rice dish thieboudienne or ceebu jen. She also calls for 1/2 to 1 Scotch Bonnet pepper (instead of the full 1) now.Another tweak to the ingredients list: Ozoz uses both white and black pepper for a deeper, earthier, smokier flavor. m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m) Note that the world might consider this a side but in Nigeria, it is the main. Can you let us know if you feel that the new ones are a better representation of jollof? From simple healthy soups to sumptuous cakes for special occasions, all our recipes have been tried and loved by our family and our friends.More about me, @2022 - Where Is My Spoon. Hi friends, so glad to have you here. Next, pour in your tomato paste and let it fry with the onions. Cook on low-medium heat. JOLLOF RICE HAS DESTROYED EVERYTHING, MY LIFE, MY LOVE LIFE AND MY MENTAL STATE. I had gone to a Nigerian restaurant last weekend and had some Joloff Rice. These ingredients give jollof rice its notorious red color! Unsubscribe at any time. Love the combination of flavors in this rice dish. .dpsp-content-wrapper.dpsp-size-small .dpsp-network-btn.dpsp-has-label:not(.dpsp-has-count){ If you need more water then u add it bit by bit. Required fields are marked *, Welcome to Sims Home Kitchen! No, you dont. Step 2. The secret? I have been searching trying to find the best Jollof rice recipe to make and yours was the one I decided to go with. .dpsp-network-btn.dpsp-has-label:not(.dpsp-has-count) { Cant wait to enjoy this with chicken and plantains on the side, Yes Linda! Leftover Jollof Rice can be stored in a dry container with a lid in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. I do have a soft spot for this kind of one-pot rice dishes and tomato-based rice dishes are my favorite. Uncle Bens parboiled rice (converted brand). You had no reason to act like this, you should keep your opinions to yourself if they aren't positive. Its popular for good reason it is delicious! Wash the rice thoroughly to rid off starch and set aside. If the meat is tender, it can go straight to the grill for cooking through. As we are focusing on Ghanaian jollof rice here, it pays to note that the choice of rice will vary greatly across the different West African regions. In French-speaking areas, it is called riz au gras.. You'll hear the rice crackle and snap and it will smell toasted. Yes, Ron, I used spatchcock chicken. 26Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland. haha . Including curry powder is optional but some people do for more flavor. I cannot stop eating this rice, its that scrumptious! WikiZero zgr Ansiklopedi - Wikipedia Okumann En Kolay Yolu In a large pot and over medium heat, heat the cooking oil and add the chopped onions. ga('send', 'pageview'); I am determined to make this because I know it is going to be yummy! I normally struggle to get jollof rice done - but this turned out incredibly well and it was super easy to make as well. Our love for Jollof rice will only grow bigger and bigger everyday. I just came across your recipe because Ive been craving for it, and also want to make it for my fiance. Its also a big hit among members of the African diaspora worldwide. I have removed it to avoid any further confusion. I've made jollof rice before, but after watching the video in conjunction with the recipe to get a better idea of how to make the stew, it was perfect. Add in the minced garlic and fry until browned and fragrant. (i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o), 2 tsps of curry6. Jollof rice is a very common dish prepared in many African countries and each recipe differs depending on the nation. Continue cooking the stew. We tried it for the very first time and everyone loved it in my family. But the third component of todays Ghanaian jollof rice recipe, particular to many Ghanaians, is meat mixed into the rice. Cook the sauce for about 15 to 20 minutes. I have used the long grain parboiled rice for this recipe This rice is soaked, steamed, and dried. How to make Jollof Couscous - A nice couscous Recipe, NATIVE JOLLOF RICE IWUK EDESI/PALM OIL RICE, How to make Jollof Spaghetti - Jollof Spaghetti Recipe, Basmati Jollof Rice recipe (The Party style with Beef), How to Cook Rice - Perfect Results Every Time, basmati. Rinse your rice and start some water boiling (for soaking the rice in step 7). *Scotch bonnet peppers are quite spicy, which will give significant heat to this dish, as is traditional. If you dont plan to do that, then 3/4 cup or 1 cup should be fine for just a simple meal. Despite the different names this dish is to be found everywhere in the region and through the many African people living outside Africa, the jollof rice has become one of the best-known African dishes outside the continent. See How To Advertise. Sardines have very strong flavors compared to dried crayfish. How To Cook Party Jollof Rice Without Tomato Paste by Nobody: 9:07am On Mar 28, 2019 Not any random jollof rice, but the one we rave about. It honestly gets on my nerves, and I'm pretty sure it's getting on everyone else's too. Thank you Kweku. I will update the recipe card. . Both good, mind you, I could not say which one I like best. This is the stew that will define the pot. I was looking for a recipe for a competition and came across THIS in the reviews? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiauBUYtiYQ, Jollof Rice (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiauBUYtiYQ), Niter Kibbeh Ethiopian Spiced Clarified Butter, Mouth-watering Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe, Easy And Delicious Chicken Cacciatore Recipe. Its simple and easy to make at homeand the end result is absolutely delicious! To get the party Jollof flavor, turn up the heat and let the rice burn for about 3 mins. So I chose the local kind of chili and I left the seeds inside to make the dish spicier. It has always been coming out beautiful and sweet. Let the party begin! The flavour is good but texture of the rice is very unpleasant. Always stay close to ur jollof rice, when u notice that the water is in the same level with the rice deep ur spoon to the bottom of the pot and raise ur rice up this will allow the water to go down then cover do this one or two minutes interval till the water dries up. Described perfectly! right like wth is this comment im gonna flag it seems inappropriate (?) Stir them in and fry on medium heat for 2 minutes. Im so glad that you enjoyed it . Nothing but trouble with the recipe - seems like there is way too much liquid and it's not reducing enough at all. (I love jollof rice with goat meat or beef.). You can freeze Jollof rice for up to three months in an airtight container. Since the days of Lord Luggard and later social media influence, celebrities are hardly ever shy about voicing their political preferences. The quantity of spices depends on your preference. I used a 400g can. Cook further until oil floats on top the sauce. I dont think the restaurant used curry powder. Others have also made the connection between jollof rice and jambalaya. I would love to make this for my family soon. Once the oil separates I let it cool down before blending it and mixing it with my rice. Visit our Privacy Policy page for more information. Would you suggest less water or broth used in the rice? Thanks for the feedback. For those who want a smoky flavour, raise the heat back to high for a few minutes, and allow the bottom of the pot to toast. Step two. Those are my go-to sides as well . The main idea of the dish is the same in all of these countries but, of course, every country has its own version of it. This is my daughters treat recipe. In west Africa, a party such as a wedding ceremony or a naming ceremony is not complete without this meal. 2 bay leaves7. Add salt if necessary and mix. Add the vegetable and heat until hot, then add chopped onions and fry until translucent (like 2 minutes) Add boiled pepper mix, curry powder, dried thyme, bouillon powder and mix to combine. It is a dish with West African and French roots. If you like, add sliced onions, fresh tomatoes and the 2nd teaspoon of butter and stir through. Here's a detailed step by step on how to cook jollof rice: First, blend the bell peppers, plum tomatoes, scotch bonnet, and brown onion. We will be reviewing this recipe based on your and our other readers' comments. padding: 0; I am making this right now! Tomato is an indispensable part of Ghanaian cuisine and it is heavily consumed in the processed form as tomato paste. Im glad you enjoyed it. Come Along! :), Lovely recipe, looks very Nigerian. Let me know your opinion. Don't worry if the rice catches slightly at the bottom of the pan; that is the desired effect, as long as it doesn't burn completely. Can I substitute sardines or fish sauce for the crawfish? A variety of spices can be used to make this one-pot dish. This is the stew that gives the rice its . I cut the recipe in half and was surprised when I took off the lid at the end of the thirty minutes and saw a lot of sauce on the top but once I stirred it up all was well and it was perfect!! Season with a pinch of salt, stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes, then add the bay leaves, curry powder and dried thyme and a pinch of black pepper for 3 - 4 minutes on medium heat. wow this comment is so helpful ty for posting :). I was going through a very dark and depressive time before I came across jollof rice. Celebration in an African home CAN NOT happen without the presence of Jollof rice.