Anyway, Layne introduced my friends and I to Demri, and Ill never forget my first impression of her she was this angelic looking little thing, with the biggest, most genuine smile She took my hand in both of hers, and told me what a pleasure it was to meet me. Barbara you are right on that they suffered from a fatal disease- and also right that drugs arent worth dabbling in. Please go to a support group. During this year I hadnt heard a thing. Demri had a look that seemed to define the musical era, beautiful in a small-town way with her bright eyes, round cheeks, and curly hair. I started writing this journal online because writing about losing you all has helped to heal my broken heart when nothing else did. It usually has nothing to do with how much they love YOU. Anyways, I can imagine what Layne and his girl were going through when people you thought were your friends are either with you or against you and the others are there because your famous and providing whatever you need. Those pictures are breathtaking. She was human. And did you ever see Mad Season play live? Pictorials. Big hugs! Bless you. I miss Laynes voice so much, but I have to admit that I absolutely love Black Gives way to Blue (the song). I dont think you do not know the dimension of your work. He loved Oscar, his sisters baby. But unless you knew them.. because they were so private I just cant imagine anyone can ever get it right.. unless you were there and you felt their life spirit.. you know what I mean? This website is simply amazing, a treasure trove of information for those wanting to go under the surface. Laura. If they weren't in insert thing, you wouldn't know them. His mother was quoted in Grunge is Dead as saying that he bought another condo in 94, but I dunno. It wasnt a blatant thing, but it was definitely implied a couple of times that they wanted to know how he was. She had her own connections for buying heroin and she could afford that, but it was LAYNES fault that she got sick b/c he hadnt bought her cotton before he left. Shane came along and started talking shit about how nobody commented on Oct 29th and I said people have their own lives to live meaning that I dont monitor this site every single day and I have relatives that have died and friends that Ive known personally that have died. When Layne would relapse or even admit to weakness in the last few years that I knew them Jerry would get very patronizing and very smug. Thank you. Did Layne Staley lose his teeth? However they clearly adored each other and this is why they remain such a large part of each others legacy. there is something so special about her. She was an addict, just like Layne. She introduced him to heroin, though he probably was doing other drugs before her, such as coke. Maybe Ill find a little peace now even without credibility, just like you always thought was possible. I first heard nutshell about a year ago and had to find the source of that sound.It was here that I found AIC + the voice of Layne. They were freaked out by it all and didnt understand it. If it is truth you have lost more than your Demi but a sibling with a D too. People around the world come here to share informations and curiosities and read stories about people you love so much. RIP Demri and Layne. e_wink.gif I was only then getting to know Layne and I liked him a lot. He obviously didnt have the strength. I just dont know what happened after 98 99. And I used to live my life just like layne and demri. Around 98, Mark Lanegan was living with Layne. This drug is so powerful and addicting that people will keep using even when theyre slowly killing themselves, ruining their lives and hurting the people they love the most! A painting of Demri and Layne was featured on the cover of the Mad Season album.. Mad Season "Above" Album Cover Based On Photo Of Layne Staley And . That time he was upset because he felt everyone in the band should be at Rehab and it really pissed him off to be singled out esp. Then they put out Tripod and yet again Layne would not be able to tour because he was so sick. I get sick to my stomach when I read things about Demri that are her friends words but twisted around. 04/05/93|04/05/02 I think about 95% of it had to do with shame over what he had become. OK, Ill stop now; I just wanted to write that to someone who understands, so thank you if you read this rambling mess. Hes a different person on coke. Mad Season was an American rock super group formed in 1994 as a side project of members of other bands in the Seattle grunge scene (Layne was the lead singer with Pearl Jams guitarist Mike McCready, drummer Barrett Martin of Screaming Trees and bassist John Baker Saunders). Demri Parrott. It was just so shocking and upsetting. To pay for such risks with ones life is just awful and seems unfair. He had someone call a psychic for him to make sure that he would be okay. . Barbara might be able to offer more insight, but I definitely get the vibe that Layne wanted to eventually get clean and have a family at some point in his future. Demri is a beautiful woman. It ruins your health and your self confidence, your self esteem and your creativity. Your site has been great in all the information thats been released, but I just wanted to say to you and all, Merry Christmas. Addiction to herion, several heart operations leading to a pig valve heart as the last resort for survival, my own mother would have given up on me & say, You deserve to die. In contrast, Demris mother supported her through all the hospital stays, and was there for her in the end. She did her movies, needed a babysitter for many, but she got through it all. Oh lord, the jokes ;D They would go out together and a lot of people thought they were gay. Not sure why I just havent.. never even held one in my hands or seen one on the shelves. She loved to model and I love this picture of her, Rest in Peace Sweet Girl Demri Lara Parrott 1969-1996. He was always fighting someone elses battle when he thought he had his beat. Layne and Alice in Chains bassist Mike Starr were watching television on April 4, 2002, the day before Staley died of a heroin overdose. I think Demris Mom confirmed that guy was NOT her boyfriend so it was either a friend or someone that picked her up. So sorry to hear about your Dad too and believe me I understand how easy it is to go back to the only thing we know made us numb again. The opposite was true for so many other women in a similar position/relationship in Seattle at that time. I too lost a sister. We all make mistakes in life, and Demri did struggle with addiction. We all were our suing a buzz in those days and the idea was to just be careful. I remember I was shooting video for Nancy at one of those tributes five years ago -shooting man on the street interviews outside, and Mike pulled up in a limo and talked to some of us , and we chatted but he was high as a kite. I gotta say, if demri had lived, layne would be here to, No doubts, if she had gotten clean, there would have been hope, and this world would be a better place. They were engaged to marry on 1992. Because that is not my story it is theirs.. even if I was a part of their story and they a part of mine. me too, i wonder what it is about her that's so magnetic! It is possible. If your brain and body like it your brain and your body will talk you into trying it again.. and again and before you know itand pretty soon you cant stop itand even if your brain and your body agree with your heartdrug addiction is cunning. Friends report that she was incredibly skinny and her face was sunken in during this time. When did you lose hope, though? This website does skew towards famous actors, musicians, models and sports stars, however we would like to expand that to include many other interesting topics. For life. Scared of what? Layne continued touring, they both continued the drugs. Thank you for sharing, although I dont know if you revealed way too many private details. On drugs and needing the klonapin I am sure she didnt discourage his feelings but more so she didnt want to hurt his feelings. Soon I heard he had passed on. You will be ok. Love lots of love. A little flower wild child girl who wont be never ever forgotten and will be for ever and for always loved and missed. I liked Classic rock and blues when I was 11. It is even hard this far out but so freeingI have terminal cancer and if I could I would have love to have given your daughter whatever it was in me to make this happen so she could be here with you Addiction is a disease and one we need to address in this country very seriously without all the judgementWe shall just pray for all the negative talk out there if there is and the ironic thing is that it is those that judge other addicts that will discover it is in their own family! I have IBS, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, so I shouldnt be taking anything, but the pain is so bad. Valley St. or Roy. Another thing that saddens me is that she had to live in a nursing home with elderly people when she was only in her mid-20s. If a kittens in your bed clawing you, its a kitten, you know? Demri Lara Parrott Murphy (February 22nd 1969 - October 29th 1996) was an American model, artist, and muse, and an amateur actress, girlfriend and later fiancee of Alice in Chains singer Layne Staley. I adored the both of them, but we definitely had plenty of conversations that were like, Look, its not fair for me to say whats right or wrong for you guys But I got to the point where I was like, I cant have this goin on here and be wonderin if you guys are gonna wake up or not., SUSAN SILVER Not that the others werent heavily into drugs, too, but Layne was clearly so deepit was so dangerousthat all of our lives centered around how to aid him. So that would be nice. That would mean everything to me. XANA LA FUENTE Innocent yet provocative. Thats how Andrew described Demri when he first saw her. If you need to talk to someone when times get tough just shoot me an email my address is boggs128@aol.com and I will chat with you. May God Bless you. Demri Parrott and Layne Staley were engaged for 2 years. Anyway sorry I could not be more helpful. Oh that thing about walking down a hall and druggies is b.s. Its so sad that two talented people lost their innocent lives to the demons of drugs. She was 4' 11" (150 cm) tall and weighed 100 lbs (45 kg) with a slim build. She is such a facinating person and it will be almost surreal to see her on video. You have to completely get away from your environment you used in like the whole city you gotta find all new friends and you need to want it more then anything else!! Tommy who bragged about selling Andy his last dose and Michael who was in El Steiner would invite themselves over, before AIC got home and did the Moore show. Demri was well known and had numerous friends that she touched with her charismatic and enchanting personality. i hope all the people who shared their stories here are doing well and i pray for those who have lost their battles and for their families as well. Great work and it happens faster than you know and very few actually survive this mistake. I will forever cherish our short time together. Just thinking about it. Mad Season released only one album, Above, in March 1995. You were like a mom to them,making sure they were eating and breathing. Laynes riff with Jerry was for telling him he needed to go to rehab and not going himself, hearing Laynes solo music and taking it to the band and borrowing his 8-track and erasing his stuff with Maynard (I dont think Jerry noticed it was on there). Just rude and no respect Or those already gone like Demri and Layne.. best thing they can come up with is they have a life to live??? I promised both I would never read it, but the excerps I have seen are ridiculous. Some are experimenting with stuff, which can just be a part of growing up. The Koa story has her at Laynes place until about 8 days before she passed. This website was also made with the AIC fans in mind and to introduce you to themthe real Demri not just the girlfriend of Layne Staley. Nice whataboutism. The next year they got invited to play Unplugged and did a couple of songs for a movie and then Demri died in October and Layne kindof shut himself off. Gah, Mike Starr was a weird one. Back in 93 early 94 Layne was seeing this dip**** model who did more harm to him than good. Are there any pictures of her last months of her life / heroin days? I wish they had suboxone and subutex available then instead of methadone clinics, I think it wouldve been easier on them. It doesnt seem right to me that they continue the band because there is no improvement. Adalsteinn, thank you so much for your kind comment so many years ago Yet, MM continued on til the day she died. She knew him off the drugs and on and had been there from the start. I guess most all questions have been answered on this lovely site. Anyway, once Demri died it was all over him because she knew him. Thanks for visiting the website and sharing the video but that video has been around for awhile and it is not Demri.. She was apparently very chatty, witty and loud. If people wanted to not just voice their opinion and get their hands dirty they could have, they chose not to and got jealous of the ones that did. I knew she was really She showed me her belly button, and she goes, Look, I can make a cats butt! I know this is an old post but why did you put Demris name in quotes? They were engaged in 1992 but later separated in 1994. All text content on this website is copyrighted by , DARIN LAMBS GUEST POST ONE OF LAYNE AND DEMRIS BEST FRIENDS AND MY EX-BOYFRIEND, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot0g2SWqnK8, http://grungestorytellers.xanaland.com/2013/02/happy-birthday-demri-crew-guy-recalls.html, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlGZfqQzpvU, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQA98ZTJDTc. Why didnt she stay home with her Mom when Layne wasnt around? Its like being high on life and thats what everyone should strive for because though life can be scary and ugly, it also can be beautiful depending on how you look at things. Not sure about the legs. What a cute smile! Thank you for sharing. In the 1980s Demri was adopted by her then step-father Dennis Murphy and she used his surname too, going by Demri Murphy but never legally changing her name. Id last about 3 days. Not to mention the way she speaks about Jerry Lets not forget that the guy wrote (and still writes) most of the beautiful and haunting AIC music. She once called herself an alien waiting for a ride home., Around 97, Layne had moved to the U Dist. One of his more moronic friends told me that he had actually died, but what little I did get from Layne told me this wasnt true. Anyways, just some comments from me, a no one, to leave for anyone to read, so close to the Christmas holiday. Friends comment that after Demri died, Layne was put on suicide watch for 24 hours. Being so removed from the reality of it all only made it more exciting though, and through all my adult years I have regularly sought out every bit of information I could about the real lives of the musicians involved, and in this case, their significant others. Read that on someones Pinterest. We were buddies and got closer when he was engaged to Miranda because he really wanted to do right by her. For Layne to die was just sad and wrong, but for him to die alone was just an abomination. I find it hard to believe. It is believed that Layne met Demri sometime in the late 80's or early 1990, as she is thanked . Why did Layne rely so much on Demri? Demri Parrott (demrilaraparrott)'s profile on Myspace, the place where people come to connect, discover, and share. She was just a friend of my roommate. I bumped into this web site and it was a very nice memorial for Layne and Demri. Chris Cornell talks about mikes shirt etc. I found this online, in case some of you havens seen it before. But I will say this: Jerry saw this coming. I know its a picture and not a video but just thought Id share in case it could add to Layne and Demris pics. Layne did mention that he was affected by Kurts death. And thank you for your website. Thanks for posting that. If youre saying to yourself Ahh.. Its quite ridiculous. Demri Lara Parrott Murphy (February 22nd 1969 - October 29th 1996) was an American model, artist, and muse, and an amateur actress, . Barbara you are right on that they suffered from a fatal disease- and also right that drugs arent worth dabbling in. But in continuing with heroin and coke, she damaged her body more, to the point of no return. I was into the grunge scene since my brother first brought home a copy of Nirvana Nevermind in 1991. Her smile, always sincere, always beautiful show who she was and how she was. Im so glad that Demris mother supported her no matter what. She had three younger half-brothers from her mothers side, Devin Remme, and Derek and David Murphy; and a younger half sister from her biological fathers side, Christa Dougherty. She was really frisky; she was all over everybody. He was in the middle of drawing a very cool cartoon for him when he died. The would cut and bag their heroin. FULL FILM: https://youtu.be/qMlLfrU5fjsAlice in Chains lineup throughout the Layne Staley era consisted of Layne Staley (87 - 98), Jerry Cantre. I dont think a lot of people understand how much damage it does. Thank you for your story. If people only knew how stuck in grief I was for YEARS and today I still miss them all but I dont break down crying anymore. Youre in my thoughts and prayers. She still looked cheerful and pretty , https://m.facebook.com/photo.php/?fbid=375943654526117, https://m.facebook.com/photo.php/?fbid=375407361246413. That sucks! Thanks for keeping this site up. Once he moved to that place, I didnt talk to him. Demri and Rosheen loved each other very much and I loved them both. She wasnt out getting loaded and living it up thats Rachels story. On top of this, Staley had lost his ability to ingest food and survived off supplements for the last few years of his life. They were less like brothers than like a weird married couple. The truth is that the drug more powerful than the mind and often times the only way for someone to quit is to be forcefully removed because the will power is not there. not demri.will try and find the link to the post that says she was not available/she and Layne not together at the time. JAMES BURDYSHAW Demri had started lookin kinda ragged for a young person. Soon I heard he had passed on. All of you stay safe and strong and Barbara thanks so much for sharing with all of us fans out there! Do you know if you have the first version or the second? There was no question about that. We lost so many friends its no wonder the ones that are left behind like me and Darin.. suffer from PTSD (Post-traumatic stress disorder) not unlike a war torn vet would but the only difference is people dont see us as heroes we brought this upon ourselvesthe uncontrollable addiction that is .. Heroin. Was she brought to this career choice based on struggles in her own life? Think about it like this who could write a book about you? She turned really different, and believe me when I say that she was not truly the person that she was becoming. I have been a long time fan of Layne Staley. He is artistic, plays the drums and guitar, he has natural talent. I caught myself thinking about her even when I was in a relationship. Layne loved what they had done, he thought Jerry did it on purpose. I love it! Previous Next. My mother overdosed and died 2 years before Layne. Hi Barbara, I remember right after Layne passed that you sent me a beautiful email about Demri. I didnt want to say too much about myself when you are facing so many scary health problems but my stepfather died 2 weeks ago of lung cancer. There are very few who are strong enough to keep up the fight for as long it will take to stop completely and for a lifetime. She was vacant, self-serving and morally bankrupt. I see a lot of conjecture and guessing about the nature of these relationships and its bugged me for years. Not a day goes by when I dont think of the both of them. It is a horrible existence. Again Thank you so much for sharing your story it is important that we all share our stories with each other openly and honestly so another person does not fall into the same trap. This page is the FamousFix profile for Demri Parrott. Finally, best of luck if you write a book Muself, I would love to produce a film documenting all of this. So I just admit that I do not have the answers. Allowing us insight into lives cut short and giving it all up ugly or beautiful for us to learn. Layne picked it out for her because of the gardens. Id love to hear your take on any of them if you do read them though. I was in a situation to where EVERYTIME I would get high I would be happy to know I would be quitting after this last time only to fall asleep and wake up and be in a totally different mind frame of freaking out with anxiety and trying desperately to get more. She stumples out to the car and passes out (O.D.s duh!). Amen. Those things would be great, I just wanted to be there when others werent so they had a safety net at all times. They both go through hell, together and apart, but the love they shared keeps them together, not as a couple, but as two people who will never leave one another, no matter what. I just hope you are able to get well again and I hope whatever happens you are able to find peace with it. I pray every day that he does not experiment with H, because I know that he will not come back from that. Then Demri starts to get sick, and shes in the hospital many times, her heart, her lungs. Certain parts of this story are definitely true. theres a black and white photo of Layne and a girl who looks like Demri, to me at least. She was really sweet and really cool. I am glad Rosheen knew how much she mattered, because that is what really counts anyway. Hopefully, this still reaches you today. These talented people were all under the thumb of an evil drug addiction that tortured them and eventually ended their lives and heroin is not a drug you try once so if you want to be another tragic statistic..go ahead and try it only once but Ill tell you from my own personal experience being there when people have tried that it for the first time and very few successfully do that. If you go onto Facebook you will find a number of groups dedicated to the memory of Layne. Demri could pull of any look and this picture is a great example of her versatility as a model. Mothers Love. Truly a loving person. Demri was born in Bremerton, Kitsap County, Washington, in the United States of Americas Pacific Northwest. Yes, she died young, of mysterious circumstances, but she made a living for herself. . Check it out and let me know. I dont remember the exact story Lanegan told in Sing Backwards and Weep, but seems to me that after she got the pacemaker, she left the hospital (possible with an IV pole?) She had allegedly accepted that drugs would kill her, and so she continued to use. my girlfriend Angela. For some reason I always thought it would be better to go out with an OD because then it wouldnt be a surprise and maybe my family wouldnt be as upset as they would with a suicide. The talent and beauty he had surrendered to drug addiction and the rest was due to depression due to his drug use so all of it was due to heroin. On the slim chance you ever read this, just know that even in 2017 there are people who still cherish the GOOD memories of that time, way back in the day when grunge was still in its innocenceto this day I get chills listening to AiC, Soundgarden, Mother Love Bone. It is such a sad situation. That crap about the model and Layne I would bet money thats not true. After her passing, Layne looked after him. Im trying to post a comment and a link to a video, but all that appears when I try to publish it in this site is: your comment is awaitting moderation!! Happy to know you found and enjoy the web site. He directed me to your site which is beautiful. I got an errorto be continued, First I would like to thank you for this site. Bigs hugs! We are all human. The Print Shop is open! They were trying to treat her endocarditis for the last 2 years and she had a pace maker at 26 but the H had a serious hold on her, too. Much love and respect to everyone that Layne touched. She wore vintage costumes, long skirts with docs, lots of vintage style 30s and 40s jewelry. 1st I was not talking to you! Layne, I was yours for the asking, but you never asked. She died on 29 October 1996 in Evergreen Hospital, Kirkland, Washington / Bremerton, Kitsap County, Washington, USA at the age of 27. Austin got that bear back after it was found in Layne's. Darin was there but I wasnt because I was in the process of having my first baby and didnt even know about it until it was too late because I was out of the social loop at the time.. It was even sadder when we found out Mike Starr was the last to see him and saw that he was in troublebut Layne wouldnt let Mike call 911now hes dead, too. Demri did NOT get Layne into heroin. Jerry wanted to tour but Layne was sick and then in and out of rehab 13 times.