I really like the fact that it doesn't dry out, but sits there and works on softening up the Cosmoline. Needed tools: Cosmoline soaked weapon; rags or paper towels; screw driver and tools for disassembly of firearm; bore brush; chamber brush; bore pull-through or cleaning rod; a good non-polar solvent (mineral spirits being one of the most preferred . As for wood, I've had limited success with WD-40. Sorry for the "ums." and "ahh." guys. I lost count around the 200 mark. 2023, Schafco Packaging Company. Cosmoline is a petroleum based brown wax. Your email address will not be published. JavaScript is disabled. Cosmoline & WD40 Removal I used WD40 to cut the cosmoline on some Yugo Mags. Will brake cleaner remove cosmoline? Next, you need to clean your gun. We'll only use the information provided according to our privacy policy. If you want to check this out in a video, take a look! The consistency of cosmoline varies widely but is mostly found as grease or wax. I've read that I should use mineral oil or WD40. Today, the mineral spirits found in products like ours are more refined and . Took days of cleaning for all the original proofs and markings to become visible. Although the fine, colorless sprays coating was dry after a week of freshwater sprays, the panel had no rust. Select what level shooter you are! Thats two decades of expertly upholding the Texan gun culture. I have used before on other parts kits with paper towels or old cotton rags Avoid that by making sure its very clean! Cosmoline removal . But there is a kind of cosmoline that is used for vehicles. It might just be the hardest challenge to returning the gun to a useable state. Cosmoline is a trademarked brand of petroleum-based, wax-like corrosion inhibitors. They are the go-to gun shop for collectors and shooters alike. Most of the cosmoline may be getting rid of after a few baths. cosmoline removal wd40excuses to get out of annual training. Sign up for our newsletter and stay up to date, Blowback Operated Guns: Way More Than You Need To Know, CZ-457 Accuracy: The Most Affordable Way to Accurize Your CZ, How to Clean and Lube an Over/Under Shotgun, The Complete History of the Lyman Alaskan Scope, Gun Bluing Basics: All of the Methods Gunsmiths Use. Cosmoline is a petroleum-based, grease-like rust inhibitor, that is typically used on firearms that are going into long term storage. Removing all of the Cosmoline will take significant work regardless, so it comes down to a matter of preference. Create an account to follow your favorite communities and start taking part in conversations. The stories of miss steps with gas are legion. Amazon.com: Cosmoline Remover 1-48 of 129 results for "cosmoline remover" RESULTS Price and other details may vary based on product size and color. Cosmoline Removal Help! The Best Accessories for Your Gunsmithing Bench for Under $11. We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe. Stock in a trash bag on a hot day Or mineral spirits scrub down? There are a ton of ways to do it and most work great. Just wipe it down with a soft cloth to remove things, maybe a gentle toothbrush for the hard to get stuff. Take this time to look over and inspect all of the parts for cracks and excessive wear. This is how to remove cosmoline in the most effective and efficient manner from your newly-acquired Moist Nugget or other military surplus firearm. Love your family and keep your powder dry, Quote from: dwcopple on July 07, 2014, 07:08:24 AM. machine guns to get them ready for action. Always handy to have around for frozen pipes, freezer defrost, melting ice on front steps (or from gutter downspouts) after an ice storm, etc. Just be careful if using a heat gun, keep it on low, and make sure to keep the heat moving and even. Mix denatured alcohol and boiled linseed oil 50/50 and scrub a stock with it using 0000 steel wool. Boil and reoil the smaller metal parts. Brake cleaner does a good job but is very harsh on the skin and can eat some plastics and brake cleaner will remove painted on finishes on some firearms so test first. Just be sure to oil thoroughly as soon as possible because it'll be bone dry when you're done. Cosmoline does an excellent job of preventing corrosion and preserving metal parts. Crate after crate of Mosin Nagants, Mauser 98s, and everything in between started to arrive in the U.S. for dirt cheap. Q-Tips and cotton swabs also work. Another tip for faster drying without any extra work is to place it in a well-ventilated area so that the wind or air can travel smoothly around the area. WOOD: Heat guns are like very hot hair dryers. Yes, I used it back in the day when I did not know better. Soaking, washing, rinsing, and scrubbing will take hours to complete before you can handle your parts or firearm without the greasy residue covering your hands. Soak a cloth in the degreaser and rub it onto the firearm until the cosmoline is dissolved. Air compressor. Here are the stuff youll need: Avoid using gasoline and harsh chemical solvents as your cleaner because that can strip paint and other coatings from the guns surface. Mauser Rifles 1933 to 1945 - The Nazi Period. The surfaces will almost dry up instantly With the hot metal you end up with after removing from the boiling water. These two things will help eliminate the last residues out of your gun. It practically dissolves any Cosmoline product in seconds with very little effort. Over time, Cosmoline may have seeped into nooks, crevices, and gaps in the metal but it is actually fairly simple to remove. Now how come some drug dealer/crook can buy one of this things and whamo bamo it works right out of the box?? #1 Engine Bay Cleaning/Cosmoline Removal 03-02-2012, 08:52 AM Hey guys, I want to get my engine bay as clean as possible without shaving or paint work before the new engine goes in. For a complete listing of cities,click here. However, after three days in salt water, the metal strip was completely rusted, except the top. At this point, disassembling the gun or sections of it, such as bolt assembly, and being soaked in mineral spirits may be more beneficial. Social media guy and gucci gear nerd extraordinaire, he enjoys tracking the equipment trends of various SOF forces worldwide and collecting a wholly unnecessary amount of Multicam Black kit. Use an air gun to blow the cleaning fluid off after you finish, then apply lube as needed. Kroil can be found here at Brownells.com. The cleaning process begins with removing as much of the Cosmoline as possible. I've used mineral spirits, gasoline, heat, soapy water, etc. When applied to a surface, the compound solidifies as it . Upon removing the parts, the hot water will evaporate and you will have totally degreased and cosmoline free parts. Cosmoline can create a dangerous situation with your firearm. Use a hair dryer on the stock and wipe it down until clean. Note: Most of the links in this article earn me a small commission at no cost to you. Brake cleaner and acetone will dissolve nearly anything but often they evaporate before you can get the gunk off and you are back where you started. . You may find the cosmoline caked on the stock, gumming up the receiver and bolt carrier, plugging up the bore, and covering the internal parts of the firearm. Because of the general porous nature of wood, chances are pretty decent that a good amount of grease has managed to penetrate the wood fiber itself, even if it retained its original finish. You'll now receive newsletters of our best articles on techniques, And as if that were not enough it came from a heaver smokers home seemingly as everything, cosmoline, dirt, and grime were shellacked with thick coating of nicotine. The Enfield P1917 above is a perfect example. You can opt to disassemble your firearm before you start this process or keep your gun intact throughout the cleaning process. The absolute best stuff I had ever had was military PD680, the older stuff. If you are like me, you were hooked the first time you picked up a cosmoline-covered surplus rifle or handgun. In our case, the two Type-56s we received directly were definitely in the latter category of goo-boundedness, with lots of solvent-resistant hardened grease nuggets tucked away throughout the entire firearm. Now what's the best way to clean the residual WD40 off so I won't have primers getting compromised? Also, older cosmoline tends to solidify when exposed to air for a long time, making it hard to remove. The U.S. military soon discovered its advantages when applied to military equipment. After his military service, he attended the Colorado School of Trades(CST) in Lakewood, CO for gunsmithing. A couple of blasts of WD-40 helped out . nothing has been easier or more effective than dawn soap and hot water. In addition, dish soap and water can remove the excess residues in your weapon too. I know this is not an easy process, its messy, and will most likely cause a little . Heat gun saved a lot of solvent. We made a trash can cosmo melter. Bolt components I usually boil, just to make sure I get all of it out. Be that as it may, your general overall approach to de-gunking your gun is going to be pretty similar no matter how much shit is built up within it. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. As it drives out moisture, it does little to oil a surface but sits on top of the surface to protect it. Harsh chemical solvents that could strip paint, finishes, or other aesthetic/functional coatings from the guns surface. I got a pvc pipe filled it with mineral spirts and soaked the metal. Aerosol brake of carburetor cleaner, dissolves the cosmolene into thin air almost instantly. Wipe off the WD40. At this point you can check up on your sonic cleaner parts and see how theyre doing. I do this on bare stocks after stripping them. This product hasn't received any reviews yet. So if you need to store your firearms long-term and protect them from moisture and corrosion, multiple options are available. Ok, what method is easier. For Cosmoline removal, I get a gallon of K1 kerosene, then put it in a tub. When I began removing the cosmoline from my new Precision Matthews PM-1440GT lathe, it was a little daunting. It will melt off. Gently rub area to maximize contact between cleaner and surface. We personally used a Lyman sonic cleaner and Lyman solvent, which worked pretty well and got us most of the way there, with only a tiny bit of extraneous scrubbing required afterwords. I only use this method on metal parts and will do this prior to using the Kroil method below to remove the last bits and pieces. For tight areas, I used some Q-tips. Now what's the best way to clean the residual WD40 off so I won't have primers getting compromised? This can be done with a simple rag and some elbow grease. These were pretty bad. CitriStrip on the wood parts. Place the bolt assembly into the boiling water. I disassembled the rifle and scraped/wiped off as much goo as I could. It is safe to work with, cheaper than most products and works extremely well. AK-47 Tips/Tricks, Links, Content and Buyer Guides. Luckily, cosmoline melts at anywhere between 115-125 degrees Fahrenheit. Also, this is perfect to use in the bore and chamber area as it will not attack metal.