She mentioned her lacy cornbread recipe while discussing go-to recipes. You want the cornmeal to plump up and get soft and moist instead of gritty. I love this recipe. Super delicious recipe! Remove from the heat. 5 days ago share-recipes.net Show details . Subscribe FREE and be the first to get our good news - delivered right to your inbox. will use this one again (committing it to memory)!!!! They quickly became a favorite, but I couldnt make them like this every time. Preheat oven to 425F. It rapidly disappeared. You should consult your health care provider or a registered dietitian if precise nutrition calculations are needed for health reasons. Your email address will not be published. Stir the extra butter into the batter. It now has 8 million views. This recipe is delicious. If the batter thickens, thin it with a tablespoon or two of hot water. This may have been the best tasting thing Ive ever made! Not too sweet perfect! Thanks a bunch. Just set it aside for a few minutes while you prepare the skillet or griddle. Including the fact that I had no wheat flour in the house and used all brown rice flour. It is so moist and flavorful and I love the crispy edges. Thanks for sharing . I love to know what you are making! I added bacon to mine and subbed self rising cornmeal and self rising flour (still keep the soda please!) I have pablano in bulk and fresh. People were seriously talking about the cornbread more than the chili. I also used regular milk with vinegar for buttermilk. Highly recommend, Im born and raised in the south and have had so many different cornbreads I cant even count, this is the best Ive ever had. Lana Stuart is the cook, writer, and founder of Lanas Cooking. Second, check that youre not overcrowding the pan with batter. I also subbed 1/2 a cup of buttermilk with sour cream. Working carefully, immediately scoop the batter into the hot skillet. So moist, so fall apart buttery, perfect. Her video has been viewed more than a million times. Set aside for a few minutes. Maybe she just didnt even know about it. My in-laws briefed me on the correct way to make it. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place an oven-proof. Make sure there are no lumps in the mixture. This was a wonderful recipe, we used blue corn meal and a coconut sugar to throw a little healthier shade in there, btw my 9 old made it! Very good, maybe a little more sugar if you like a sweeter cornbread. Its a hit at my house. Hold the cup up higher than you might normally would and quickly pour the batter into the pan. Batter. The corn meal is pretty much going to separate from the water and sink to the bottom, but thats natural. I will keep making this recipe for always. I have tried quite a few cornbread recipes throughout the years.this is by far the best. Can this be made with all purpose flour in place of whole grain? Thanks! Cut the warm cornbread into wedges and serve it alongside your favorite barbecue dish or dinner recipe. If it will not spread out, that means the batter needs more water. EYYYY I DO THE SAME THING.. AND ADD A CAN OF CHOPPED CHILIS AND CHEDDAR CHEESE WE CALL IT SASSY CORNBREAD ITS SO GOOD WITH EVERYTHING AND ESPECAILLY CHILI!!!! Easy Tomato . Looking forward to trying more of your recipes in the future! Brenda Gantt, a 73-year-old grandmother from Andalusia, Ala., thought other people might like to see how she made biscuits. Still tastes great have watch sodium intake. But this was the best cornbread Ive ever made. I added all the green onions to the recipe. Can MASECA Traditional Instant Corn Masa Flour be used ( mixtamalized flour)? I set timer for 25. These were very crispy, much like biting into a potato chip. Dont be discouraged though, please do give it a try. Hope you were still able to enjoy it! Id LOVE to know what you thought!Leave a rating below in the comments and let me know how you liked it!WERE ON FACEBOOK, TOO!If youd like to hang out with lots of other Southern Comfort Food lovers, make sure tojoin myFREEPRIVATEFacebook group. Add just about 1/4 inch of cooking oil and let it get hot enough for frying. Kitchen Wisdom: If the cornbread comes all apart when gently putting it in the oil, that means the batter is too thin, so add a little more cornmeal. Now I know theyre Lacey hoecakes or Lacey cornbread . Amazing! My granny made this cornbread and I loved it! I did cut the sugar in half and a little less salt but other than that, by the book. Add the melted shortening and stir well. More About Lana , Your email address will not be published. Made with jalapeo, gooey cheese, and a can of Mexicorn, it's moist, delicious, and not too spicy. - YouTube 0:00 / 7:59 Hot water cornbread. Method Of Making Brenda Gantt Cornbread Step 1: Start Adding Ingredients First, take a big bowl and add 2 cups of cornmeal, followed by adding 2 eggs. a few minutes til it curdles. I added a little more sugar as my husband likes sweeter taste. 1 || https://youtu.be/XaUITa2SIds2 || https://youtu.be/x99ab8hJ5pc3 || https://youtu.be/SnJMnkBYahk3 || https://youtu.be/ctvpyIwoJsk3 || https://youtu.be/qaeERcy2qwk#cookingwithbrendagantt #CornBread I hate when people review a recipe that they changed.thats not the recipe!! Pour batter into hot skillet. Make sure you cook for the 30 mins. Add the eggs to the bowl with the melted butter and whisk until blended. We add a bit of colored corn polenta and sometimes a bit of corn. Follow our step-by-step, photo illustrated instructions to learn how to make crispy and crunchy, Lace Cornbread. Thank you!! Its perfectly fluffy, moist, and slightly sweet, and IT IS DANGEROUSLY GOOD, particularly with extra butter on top, melting right into the warm bread with a drizzle of honey. Weve made this cornbread using yogurt milk, which is a bit like really good buttermilk. Last night I made this to go with our black-eyed peas, and I added about a third of a can of cream style corn and some leftover chopped jalapeo pepper. This would be a great addition to a party were you dont know the tastes of the attendees. Love how simple the ingredients are and how quickly it comes together. So easy! Brenda shares her faith story with us here. Very moist. Ive not tested it with this kind of flour so it would be hard to say. The batter will be lumpy. This recipe is popular among foodies because of its creamy texture and rich flavor. Hope you enjoy it! Thank you for this delicious buttermilk cornbread! Bread 312 Show detail Preview View more . Previously, Ive used fine, coarse and medium-grain for different recipes, but just curious what you might suggest. Thinner than pancake batter. I thought it would be too sweet but I decided to follow the recipe and Im glad I did, not too sweet at all. Ive made cornbread for decades, but this was the best cornbread thus far. I use 2/3 powdered sugar in mine. This is superb!! It was pretty perfectly done and presented beautifully. This one may take a bit of practice, but pat yourself on the back when you make it happen. Other than that I followed the recipe as written unusual for me! Delicious. Everything just spread out all over the pan. Ive seen this southern-fried cornbread called Johnnycakes, too. Log in. The texture is very good, moist and almost perfect. Ill never make cornbread again without soaking the cornmeal!! Brenda Gantt's recipe! It is excellent as-is. Pretty perfect. Re-oil the skillet and stir the batter in between each batch of cornbread. ABSOLUTELY PERFECT! However, for best results, use real buttermilk. This was a big hit at Christmas!! Amazingly moist and slightly sweet. It was amazing. Id send a pic but its gone! But oh boy you werent kidding. 1.4M views, 41K likes, 12K loves, 7.2K comments, 17K shares, Facebook Watch Videos from Cooking with Brenda Gantt: Cracklin' Corn Bread. Sometimes followers use Flaxseed Eggs for substitutes but I havent tried it in this recipe. Thank you for this kind review! Brenda Gantt's recipe! No matter how I altered this recipe, it has turned out perfectly every time. So glad you enjoyed the recipe! Thank you for sharing your recipe. This cornbread is delicious! Its a great addition to many meals, but some of my favorites things to serve it with are pinto beans, butter beans, Hoppin John, stewed okra and tomatoes, and vegetable soup. And, should you ever decide that you are no longer interested, its even quicker to unsubscribe. For those who love sweet cornbread, this recipe is a classic. Let the batter sit at room temperature for 20 minutes while you preheat the oven. It was a Hit, even for me!! Hot out of the pan, fully stuffed, and primed for pairing with your favorite warm-you-up soup, its Mexican Cornbread. So glad you enjoyed this recipe! So what are you waiting for? I tried this a few nights ago, and to be honest, no one in my family liked it. This looks absolutely fantastic. I did leave out the sugar is the only reason for the 4/5 rating. The cornbread is moist, has perfect texture, tastes delicious and is easily adaptable to added or subtracted ingredients. Id like to address the lady who asked about baking it in a cast iron skillet, you absolutely can and Id actually recommend doing so. My first time making cornbread and this came out Perfectly! Bookmarking for future use! I am going to try this ASAP. Pour the mixture from high up but be careful, it splatters. Your recipe is Yankee Cornbread; mine is more like typical Southern Cornbread. So, when youve had some success, and made a few very nice pieces of Lace Cornbread, go ahead and pat yourself on the back for a job well done. Alright then, lets head on out to the kitchen, and Lets Get Cooking! After the skillet is fresh out of the oven, place butter on top and let it melt into the bread. Place bacon drippings in a 9-inch cast-iron skillet; heat in oven 5 minutes. Low Carb Keto Cornbread Recipe Wholesome Yum. Place a rack in the center of your oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Similar Recipes Bacon Cornbread Breakfast Muffins corn muffin mix A lone elderly woman invited him and his partner in for lunch. Just like grandma used to make. dont have real buttermilk, you can fake it with a cup of milk with 1 Tbsp of lemon juice. I made this for my hubby who loves classic cornbread. I wanted to try this but we dont eat eggs. This is a winner! This recipe is amazing. The Well Plated Cookbook is now available! The key to making good, authentic Southern cornbread is to use the right tools and ingredients. Thank you for sharing this kind review! My grandma was from Georgia too and she called them hoecakes. Hi Greg! I remember when I was in first grade and the school menu said cornbread would be served as part of the meal. Do you think this could be made the day before Thanksgiving and still taste delicious or does it need to be served the same day it is baked? I am 62 years old and have always been searching for the best cornbread. We couldnt stop or even give it time to fully cool down. 1 scant teaspoon kosher salt 1 cup boiling water 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening, or oil for frying Steps to Make It Gather the ingredients. This post contains some affiliate links, which means that I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you. 1 week ago damndelicious.net Show details . This was a hit for rib and mashed potatoes night! Excellent and easy recipe. Do not crowd the pan. Brenda Gantt Cornbread Dressing Recipe Ingredients for the Cornbread One cup of self-rising cornmeal (buy here) 1/2 cup of self-rising White Lily flour (buy here) 3/4 cup of Bread 189 Show detail Preview View more Brenda Gantt 15 Bean Soup Cornbread - YouTube 1 week ago youtube.com Show details SO GOOD. I think I will give them a try when I find the fine cornmeal. But this is far too much baking powder. It was delicious. So what was my problem? 2010 - 2023 Well Plated by Erin. 1 week ago damndelicious.net Show details . Substituted 2T of vegetable oil for for 2 of the tablespoons of butter for texture. Serve it warm for best results. Great suggestion of the yogurt and milk instead of buttermilk. If you get your batter just right, you can create cornbread that is crispy and crunchy, with lots of little holes that give that look of fine lace. Ladle the batter by tablespoons onto the hot pan. Scale Ingredients cup Yellow Corn Meal -self rising cup Self Rising Flour teaspoon Salt Hot water as needed, about one cup. Most of your pieces will probably look like this. did I miss the size of the iron skillet somewhere? . So good!!!! I melted 3 tablespoons of butter in the skillet in the oven while preheating and poured the batter in with the butter. E-subscribe to Birmingham Christian Family. Preparation time: 10 minutes cooking: 3 minutes total time: 13 minutes Ingredients: 1 cup cornmeal 1 teaspoon salt 2-3 cups water Oil (for frying) Instructions: ANDALUSIA, Ala. (BP) - When Brenda Gantt was a young bride, her husband's job placed him on the lookout for an illegal moonshine liquor still in the backwoods of Linden, Ala., where he happened upon a small, isolated cabin. Crispy Southern Cornbread Recipe (5th Generation Recipe & Gluten Free!). Pour batter into hot skillet. Was I just trying too hard? Bread 370 Show detail Preview View more . Drop about 3 tablespoonful of mixture into a hot skillet of oil. Add the hot water and blend using a wooden spoon or wire whisk making sure there are no lumps in the mixture. Its totally free, and super easy to sign up. It came out perfect. Add oil to a cast iron skillet and allow to heat. Using turbinado sugar. Heat a flat griddle or skillet over medium heat. Preparation time: 10 minutes cooking: 3 minutes total time: 13 minutes Ingredients: 1 cup cornmeal 1 teaspoon salt 2-3 cups water Oil (for frying) Instructions: Light and made with fresh cornmeal I bought from a corn mill in Millville Virginia during the holidays! Great recipe however the most impressive thing is the smithy cast iron skillet youre cooking with! 1 cup all-purpose flour cup sugar 4 teaspoons baking powder 1 teaspoon kosher salt 2 cups reduced fat buttermilk 1 large egg 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and divided Instructions Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place an oven-proof 10-inch cast iron skillet in the oven. Thats exactly what you want. Next time I will remember to keep buttermilk and egg in the room temperature, as the melted butter got hardened when mixed. more cake-light and fluffy which is not Southern; thin and in the skillet is Southern. Thats the very best part of this thin and crispy cornbread. What we DID like was the slight sweetness, the great texture, and the crust on the bottom. Some are too grainy for me. When cooked like said in the recipe in a cast iron skillet, the bottom comes out almost like a salty cracker, and the rest of the bread above is lighter and sweeter.